Community Help: Protecting copyright - page 3

Thanks.

I works with patents during the more than 10 years. But it was many years ago. And as I know the application for the patent will be rejected if patent bureau will find the publications about idea (just anything and anywhere)) which is exact the same as person patented and which was published before application date. So the person is patenting the idea.

As to copywrite so you are right.

But if copywrite is related to programmer irrespective of how many people expressed the same idea in public so I think we should protect trading system developers. Because it looks like "i have idea, tested and proved and I need to find the owner (programmer) for all my ideas".

May be some Russian traders/coders are right when they say that ideas about indicators/EAs are more valuable than final project (indicator/EA itself)? In many Russian forex forums they are protecting the ideas against programmers. And they are doing it in very hard way I know: they are coding many indicators/EAs without even single copywrited line (just empty) but if I want to get the idea (any idea) - sorry, nothing or for money.

May be they are right?

newdigital:
May be some Russian traders/coders are right when they say that ideas about indicators/EAs are more valuable than final project (indicator/EA itself)? In many Russian forex forums they are protecting the ideas against programmers. And they are doing it in very hard way I know: they are coding many indicators/EAs without even single copywrited line (just empty) but if I want to get the idea (any idea) - sorry, nothing or for money. May be they are right?

I read your commentary on "Western" vs "russian" schools and have thought about this for a while. The Russian school could simply require a license agreement before receiving an idea. I don't know how they could market ideas without a "general description" and a "specific description" separately. It would be too easy to say that an idea is great (american advertising) but then it turn out to be crap, or very common.

With the Western School there are licenses and protections, and these licenses and protections work in court. They are enforceable although not always effective. Some of them are just silly, and most people ignore them. (It is not legal to use laserpointers to play with cats, or to make swings that can go side to side, etc. Lately US companies like Monsanto have patented seeds from nature - and have won lawsuits.)

Maybe in Russia there are laws to make this happen, and to enforce this. I don't know of any way to "remove the idea" from someone still living who doesn't agree to your terms, so it would be a very hard way to do business. The Russian school is compatible with the reverse auction I described, but I doubt anyone would pledge money or support for a "general description" of an idea.

Patents could be used to protect ideas for "Russian School" but they would have to be written, described, and fairly new. A prepatent costs $100 USD, so that may be a good way to protect the idea if it truly is valuable. 1 year after prepatent you must file patent or it goes away.

In my experience, exchanging ideas creates new and better ideas. I am generally very open about my conceptual ideas, and a little more closed about how easily those ideas can make money. That "commercialization" of ideas is valuable, separately than the idea itself. On forex, that is not as true.

Is Jurrick selling that code? If Jurrick makes it commercialized, then I think they go on this list.

I reported both users listed earlier on Ebay as potentially violating copyright. If Jurrick sells code, then I would pursue that. If this is simply copy/paste, then I recommend remove the files and warn the user, else the means of distribution is liable for copyright violation.

daraknor:
Is Jurrick selling that code? If Jurrick makes it commercialized, then I think they go on this list. I reported both users listed earlier on Ebay as potentially violating copyright. If Jurrick sells code, then I would pursue that. If this is simply copy/paste, then I recommend remove the files and warn the user, else the means of distribution is liable for copyright violation.

No heavens NOOOOO !!!! Jurrik is the owner of some great maths, but people have been ripping him off and placing lots of he's work on this and other forums...He does sell his work comercially from his site etc... he is the good guy

Till later,

FX Sniper

There is also a different scenario where I for example buy a book written by say Perry Kaufman, and in the book he explains how to build a replication of his self adjusting moving average, the fact that I bought the book and in it him giving me instructions to build it for my own use is one thing, then taking it and placing it on open forums is a different thing, then people coming taking that again and reselling/amending is even worse.

I think this is the only point we differ on so far. I think that you turning the "Self Adjusting Moving Average" and turning the description into code grants you copyright to the code. If Kaufman trademarked the name, you would have to call your code something else, and you couldn't claim that it was from Kaufman. You should, and *might* be legally obligated to say that Kaufman inspired the code if it was very well documented.

You could copy paste a few paragraphs out of his book, cite Kaufman as the source, and put it on these forums as part of Fair Use Act - unburdened by copyright or request for permission. If Kaufman specifically asks the forum admin or you to remove the description, you *should* comply. You *might* have a legal case where you rely on your quotation being an example of Fair Use. You should not need to rely on Fair Use Act to publish your code, unless your code contained large pieces of the book in comments or displayed it in help files to users, etc.

Now if someone took your code, modified a few lines, and reposted it then it is considered a "derivative work" and you continue to own the copyright to the code. If they distribute their modifications *separately* and copyright the separate modifications (like in a .patch file) then you couldn't include the patches without their permission. If they change the copyright info *at all* on your code, it is a clear copyright violation.

Point me at the offenders! Maybe others can use the techniques listed here to help protect Jurrik as well.

daraknor:
I read your commentary on "Western" vs "russian" schools and have thought about this for a while. The Russian school could simply require a license agreement before receiving an idea. I don't know how they could market ideas without a "general description" and a "specific description" separately. It would be too easy to say that an idea is great (american advertising) but then it turn out to be crap, or very common.

With the Western School there are licenses and protections, and these licenses and protections work in court. They are enforceable although not always effective. Some of them are just silly, and most people ignore them. (It is not legal to use laserpointers to play with cats, or to make swings that can go side to side, etc. Lately US companies like Monsanto have patented seeds from nature - and have won lawsuits.)

Maybe in Russia there are laws to make this happen, and to enforce this. I don't know of any way to "remove the idea" from someone still living who doesn't agree to your terms, so it would be a very hard way to do business. The Russian school is compatible with the reverse auction I described, but I doubt anyone would pledge money or support for a "general description" of an idea.

Patents could be used to protect ideas for "Russian School" but they would have to be written, described, and fairly new. A prepatent costs $100 USD, so that may be a good way to protect the idea if it truly is valuable. 1 year after prepatent you must file patent or it goes away.

In my experience, exchanging ideas creates new and better ideas. I am generally very open about my conceptual ideas, and a little more closed about how easily those ideas can make money. That "commercialization" of ideas is valuable, separately than the idea itself. On forex, that is not as true.

Patents.

For example I have 15 patents in Russia (i have). Before presenting any application for the patent I should be very sure that no one expresssed the same idea in forums, published works, newspapers an so on in any country. For example i patented to use microorganisms in a computer system inside a guided spaceship as a memory sensor. So I will get patent on some way to do it. If this way was described already before so I may have patent on same parameters (I use one microorganisms instead of patented by other person). Of course it should be proved by experimentes in certified research centred and so on.

Russian forex forums.

Many forums in Russia are doing like this:

idea creators and programmer are asking admin of the forum to create the some hidden section on the forum visible just for them only. And they are creating some indicators, trading systems and EAs. Doing everything they want: commercial, uncommercial, developent - anything just to develop the system.

First, second and so on versions are for free and they may post on the forum for everybody with the description and so on. e may see many good thread on their forums but it is public thread which developers decided to post from their hidden section. The final version is usually commecial one and may be sold on the forum, or may be used to do some payment service and so on.

Administration of the forum is not involved in this subject usually (I mean money). Just doing some administration. But there are 2 or 3 systems (hidden sections) where administration is acting as idea creator or programmer (in some way). And those 2 or 3 projects are the main income for the forum. The forum is developing and promoting them. And those kind of forums are usually not asking for the sponsors: forum is having a lot of money in this case and many people are making money. No one idea is spreading without permission because they understand idea = money.

And because of that, if we visit any Russian forum, we may find just few ideas only with a lot of indicators/EAs and many hidden sections with 2 or 3 section which is belong to administration fully or as in some part.

bobi@siteground.com 1:42 am (1 hour ago)

Dear Ian,

Please note that we can take the site offline provided that you

email/fax/mail us the exact location (url) where the copyright

violation has occurred + proof that there has been a violation.

However,

we strongly advice you to contact the owner of the domain to remove

immediately the web pages that have copyright violations. If they

fail, then send us an email to abuse@siteground.com. Our policy is

to provide 72h for response from the customer (after we receive the

complaint details from you) and if no response is received the whole

site will be shut down.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to

contact us.

Can we compare the screenshots to copyrighted code on this site please? That will be proof and we can kick this person off the net, cancel the credit card processing, and get a list of transactions.