Cost Averaging System - page 12

Version & settings RSI

Aaragorn:
would you post your RSI version with your settings preset in it? are you running the same settings as tomstaufer?

I am using the version exactly as Maji emailed it to me I also have loaded the indicator as advised.

Cost averaging - RSI mq4 EA SmoothRSI mq4 Indicator

Aaragorn:
I don't remember. I know I've worked on it some in times past...care to post the link...I'll check it out.

I will upload the pdf file from Hendrick's Phoenix 2007 thread.

John

Files:

tomstaufer:
Another good day for RSI.

v3 is trying to recover.

Aaragorn,

Have you seen Hendrick's document how to get 90% modelling quality (from Firebird thread)?

I don't remember. I know I've worked on it some in times past...care to post the link...I'll check it out.

I'm about to go thru all my alpari installs on the 1m at least since that's what I'm presently using on this.

also woud you post your EA for the rsi version with your settings preset in it?

This is the extent of one minute data I now have installed...goes from today back to...

AUDCAD 2004.06.15

AUDJPY 2 days back

AUDNZD 2 DAYS BACK

AUDUSD 2004.06.15

CHFJPY 2004.06.16

EURAUD 2004.06.16

EURCAD 2004.06.16

EURCHF 2004.06.16

EURGBP 2004.06.16

EURJPY 2004.06.16

EURUSD 2001.01.03

GBPCHF 2004.06.16

GBPJPY 2004.06.16

GBPUSD 2001.01.03

NZDJPY 2006.01.27

NZDUSD 2006.01.27

USDCAD 2004.06.15

USDCHF 2001.01.03

USDJPY 2004.06.16

Carl,

How do I know if ADX has topped? Do you have any suggested values or suggested methodology? I am always willing to experiment.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Aaragorn,

Let me understand what you are saying. Sorry, it has been a long day so it may take a while for my brain cells to churn.

You are suggesting that for each pair we select a pipstep (around 80-100 pips based on optimization runs) and just 2 trades for each pair. Is that correct?

I think that means the system should be dependent on daily/hourly ranges of every pair. Perhaps time to look at ATR maybe.

I am not a big fan of optimization, as I tend to overoptimize whenever I do that. However, if we can express it as a fraction of daily ATR or something similar and all pairs work for the same multiples, it will make me feel better. That means the values are not overoptimized and stable.

Now, I hope every one understands the reason why I decided to let members test the EAs. All these suggestions and members working on it are bound to improve the system. The clue is to control risk and that is what we are all looking for here.

I had mentioned yesterday that the system was going into a drawdown. Today it came out of it with a bang. See my attached equity chart and report. At one time, the equity was down to $9,500 from $10,800. After that, the system closed a bunch of open trades and made some nice profits. The demo account is up about 14.5% in about 2 weeks time.

MT does not give max open trade drawdowns, which sucks. However, from my observations, the deepest drawdown has been around $1500-$2000. Maximum margined amount has been like $3500-$4000 or so. I wish those metrics be reported by MT in the report output.

My EURUSD position is somehow messed up, due to the EA being shut down and restarted. Notice how the lot count is messed up. That is a bug that has to be fixed. I hate to call it a bug, but then the EA cannot remember when it is restarted. So, I have to incorporate that patch.

A lot more people are requesting me for the EA and instead of stopping at 30, I am still giving it out. I will stop at some point, because I won't be able to keep up with emails and requests.

Again, thanks to everyone for their time and effort.

RSI settings

Aaragorn,

I am using RSI version Maji emailed me. (SmoothRSI.mq4+indicator).

Pairs: EURUSD, USDCHF, EURJPY, USDJPY, USDCAD, AUDUSD, EURCHF, EURGBP

Timeframe: M15

Broker: IBFX

Settings: all pairs default (see zip file)

I found some more info about testing. May be helpful.

http://www.forexfactory.com/forexforum/showthread.php?t=6002

Maji (or anyone else) - what does the UseSafeMode parameter used for in the Cost Averaging RSI EA? Thanks.

bluto:
Maji (or anyone else) - what does the UseSafeMode parameter used for in the Cost Averaging RSI EA? Thanks.

UseSafeMode is supposed to close the open long trades when a short signal is generated and vice versa for open short trades. Basically, the EA will no longer be open ended so is "safer". I don't know about how safe it is, but when I was trying to code it, that name popped into my mind and hence...

Hope this helps.

Maji:
Basically, the EA will no longer be open ended so is "safer". I don't know about how safe it is, but when I was trying to code it, that name popped into my mind and hence... Hope this helps.

LOL!! Outstanding!

Aaragorn:
ok it's come back to this...I'm getting two different backtest results on the same settings...oy vey

I'm really trying to get rid of the big blow up events here...is this helping?

I wonder if my fears about this are justified?

My goal is to see just how tightly this can be made to fly. I'm working from the premis of a mini account with only 350 dollars in it. My reasoning is that if I can make it start with that and go well then that improves it's safety. Like giving it the stress test as much as I can to see how well it will do under pressure.

What I am observing is that it tends to recover from practically everything except when it loses it's initial position which only rarely does. These catastrophic drawdowns I've been talking about are all relative to this really small account.

When I ratchet out the pipstep to 95 or so and crank up the lot exponent to 5.... and then allow maxtrades=3 it's practically invincible. It seems to bounce back from anything the backtester can throw at it.

I am beginning to believe that this catastrophic drawdown I observed at the end of backtests is more a backtester anamolie than anything actual that occurs in real forward trading....If this is the case than I'm going to ditch my fears and anxities about this and go live with it in my real account. I havn't confirmed this as of yet but I'm hotly suspecting that the biggest drawdown are those small blips when it loses it's first position before enlarging with additional positions, they make small dents which are quickly made up for.

ooooo hang on...

I'm onto something...

let me make a new post....

Aaragorn,

Don't go with a live account yet. I am scared... really. It is still experimental.

As for exponent of 5, that means you sill be adding fifth power of lots. Now that is gutsy.

That large drop at the end after it stops trading usually means that you got a margin call. I think that is what I figured out a while ago. Basically, the equity dropped below the margin required so no new trades were taken and the positions closed at the end of testing. Please correct me if I am wrong.