How to on Linux ? - page 5

dwmcqueen:
Wine runs on OSX now (x86). So, yes, there is MT4 for Mac - although I have no idea how stable it is..

See the other Linux thread on Wine and MT4.

Icons

I have noticed that some of the screenshots here have the icons in the menu bar, while mine does not. Anyone know what may be causing this? I am running the latest version of Wine on Fedora.

Thanks!

gpw797:
Yes... I have used on live account. I don't use it now as there are too many things that don't work right.

What doesn't work out right?

Metatrader4 on Linux

Just wanted to share my experience with Linux and Metatrader. There is no version of Metatrader for Linux. So the only option is to run it through Wine. As others have already stated, Metatrader will start but..

Installation: Fedora Core 6 on a AMD Duron 850, 384MB of RAM

wine-0.9.25-1.fc6

winetools-0.9-3jo

What Works:

An non-exhaustive list includes

1. Connecting

2. Trading on a demo account

3. Strategy tester

4. Iindicators and experts

5. Live update (started on build 200, now on 201)

What doesn't work:

1. Can't compile an EA

2. Can't set parameters for an EA since you can't enter data on that particular panel. You can load .set files.

3. Many of the buttons don't have an picture or ID, they are blank. Many of us have the button memorized so no big deal

4. History Center - can't download build 200 data (could be due to only 384MB). I'm not sure about importing Alpari but see below.

5. In the terminal window, all the tabs work except the "Experts" tab (just hangs the app, maybe not waiting long enough).

Advice:

1. Copy over your ex4, mq4 to the Linux machine.

2. Also save your parameters into a .set and migrate that over to your linux machine.

3. You will need historical data on Linux and since history center doesn't work great, import Alpari data into a Win32 MT4, convert it to all timeframes, and then FTP your history to your Linux machine. You can then use the strategy tester pretty good, and you can then be assured that there are enough bars in your history to calculate indicators as expected.

I'm currently forward testing with Linux with one of my EAs. It closed one trade today for +120 pips

I'll post more information once I've used it more. I'm not sure if I'd use it with a live account yet (but I don't do that anyways)

Update 2007/01/24 - After forward trading on a demo account for about 7 or 8 business days, MT stopped sending me emails and it also started executing trades. However, it does show a connection and is displaying charts properly. I don't know what's wrong and I've tried everything except a full server reboot.

At this point, I don't think running MT4 on Linux using Wine is acceptable for a live account. It might work out for short-term trading like scalping.

dwmcqueen:
What doesn't work out right?

Check out my post where it says update. But basically, my test of MT/Wine and it stopped executing trades after a few days.

I would not use it until they release a linux version...

Has anybody at MT indicated they will be releasing a linux version? Sure would be nice if they did but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I can't get newer versions 200/201 to even work under wine.

to answer other question about what doesn't work right, for me the biggies are no backtester and EA variables can't be changed with menu.

gpw797:
Has anybody at MT indicated they will be releasing a linux version? Sure would be nice if they did but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I can't get newer versions 200/201 to even work under wine.

to answer other question about what doesn't work right, for me the biggies are no backtester and EA variables can't be changed with menu.

Backtester does work. But not the history center.

As for variables, just use a .SET file and load it. Created on a windows machine of course.

Hmmm

I have the latest version, live update, and MetaTrader running fine under latest wine. I have been running it for several days and it is still entering trades.

Only thing failing on my side is the icons.

I have the latest version, live update, and MetaTrader running fine under latest wine.

what distro you running?

Ubuntu and CentOS - both latest