Backtesting/Optimization - page 77

landmeister:
Dear all,

This is my first contribution here because I'm a beginner, so please excuse me if this question is simply silly. I want to make some backtests on MT4 but I don't know if this platform takes into account ticks instead of candles. I'm trying a strategy in which what happens within 1 minute candle is fundamental. This means that backtesting by pips will be more accurate than by candles. Is this possible? If so, could someone please tell me how?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi,

In simple terms MT4 can use ticks as well see the screen shot below.

go to the strategy tester and from "model" section choose ticks instead of open price or control price , choose the date , Symbol and press start!. Make sure you have enough history . You can search this forum for more info about back testing just use the forum search.

-guyver

Optimization - Why did it take me 3 years to find out about it?

Either I'm really dense or the information wasn't being talked about but I found a page saying how to use the optimization in Metatrader to test various settings in an expert. What it does would have taken me forever!

Check it out! The instruction page is here! Talk about making things easier?

Set the thing up and run it on all the time frames. Different time frames get different results.

easyexpertforex.com/

backtesting-optimization.

html

History Center

I need to old info on GBP/JPY. I go to History Center and download the 1m history. In C:\Program Files (x86)\FXDD - MetaTrader 4\history\downloads\GBPJPY, it downloads tons of information, all in .dat file format. However, I cannot figure out how to get it into the charts. Import has to be in TXT, CSV, or PM format. What am I missing?

mt4 strategy tester open two visual charts same time?

Is there a way of running strategy tester on mt4 and then clicking on 'open chart' and running it on visual mode? "Yes you can" I am hearing from everyone.

But what about having two same currency charts with different time frames running on visual mode? is there a way for me to do this.

I have tried to open two seperate platforms and run this way but it is so difficult to do and takes a long time.

Is there a way of making some add on codes to attach to platform for me to get two visual chart output?

There must be some smart people out there that can do this?

Please help, thank you.,

-----------------

Read this somewhere. I am looking for this also. Surely there is a way of creating some programmed code whereby when a visual chart is open, then another dupilicate visual can be open to visualise on a different time frame?

How to bactest to find the best time to trade ?

Hi,

I have an EA, that trades at all time,but I am planning to add a timer function to set the time of trade. Is there any software , that can backtest and show the reports based on each hour of time trades , so that I can easily find out the best time to trade.?

Thanks a lot..

Backtesting

Hallo guys.

I have some questions..

When im backtesting an indicator and Klick go and attach my indicator before the run the indicator works perfect and shows the perfect patterns but when im wait and the backtest is running and im attaching my indicator than doesn't show anything...

What is the problem ???

Can you explain more detailed when and where you attach the EA ?

Backtesting window - Time Frame and Visual Option vanished

Hey guys,

since yesterday everytime i restart my pc, the time option and visual option vanished in my backtesting window in metatrader4.

If i deinstall and reinstall metatrader everything is fine until i restart my pc.

Would be kind of fine if i could adjust the "from ..to" option in backtests cause its a little bit crucial :PP

Any ideas so far?

Thanks

- problem solved

Posting Strategy report

Hey,

how can I post, thus copy, my strategy report and chart, settings of my EA etc?

Right click in the report window and "save as report" leads me to an empty firefox document page, where just the headline states "strategy report".

Thanks, Jass

Strategy results?

I'm currently teaching myself to program and in the process backtesting several very simple strategies.

I understand basic data issues, unreliable backtests, curvefitting, sample size etc.

My question is what would the statistics be of an acceptable mechanical system i.e. if we accept a backtest as 100% reliable, what would maximum acceptable drawdown and minimum expected payoff levels be.

E.g. Would a system with a payoff of only 0.6pips per trade really be tradeable in the actual market?