EA on remote servers ? - page 8

... so for each EA and each currency you need a separate install of MT4 on a separate bank account with your broker...

For example... using four currencies on the braintrader EA would require four separate accounts with my broker .....?

JUST A SIDE NOTE FROM AN EMAIL RESPONSE FROM FXDD:

Dear Sir, A customer is capable of opening up to three accounts without questions asked. If you would like to open more accounts than that, please write us a detailed explanation of why you need so many accounts, how are you planning on funding them, and how many opened positions per day will you have opened on average. You answer will be reviewed by our compliance officers, and upon approval, we will create for you additional accounts.

adam777:
... so for each EA and each currency you need a separate install of MT4 on a separate bank account with your broker... For example... using four currencies on the braintrader EA would require four separate accounts with my broker .....?

IDEALLY, yes, but not necessarily.

This can get tricky.

You might use one EA on one account trading multiple pairs. That would be okay, but if you want to know how the EA is doing with just one of those pairs you will not be able to generate a report for that, your report would include the trades for all the pairs. For example, you're trading the Euro, Yen, and the Loonie with the same EA. You have no way of knowing how the system is performing on the Yen, just the whole basket. It may be doing well on the Yen and poorly on the Loonie. You need to know that so that you can make adjustments. You could manually break down your account summary but that would be a lot of work.

If that's what you want, that's okay.

The more important issue is running one EA per account, because you don't want the EAs conflicting or competing for the money in that one account. So again, if you have the resources- one EA, per pair, per account will avoid any confusion. Admittedly that is a lot of resources and it could get expensive.

Once again, if you demo test your EAs with the currencies you want (yes, it will be time consuming) and can narrow it down to the best few, take those live to your host and keep it simple.

A more important point to make is the nature of the EA itself. If an EA generates an order that includes a TP and SL, you have less at stake than using an EA that generates just market orders and then waits for a certain condition to close the trade. With the first scenario, your broker will have the TP and SL in his server. If your PC crashes, the worst that can happen is no new trades will be taken, but your TP and SL are there with the broker, they'll get executed. Not so with scenario number two. If there are no directions to close the trade and you crash, you are at the mercy of the market. This is where you need the bulletproofing.

You need to assess what types of EAs you're using; you may need a VPS for some, but not all of them.

From EuroVPS for their 640MB RAM windows vps @ $41 USD - unmanaged server

The basic system requirement for your Metatrader terminal is 16 MB Ram and 2 GB diskspace. However considering the special case, please do not run more than 5 applications in the software.

From Solar VPS for their 416MB RAM windows vps @ $42 USD - managed server

Adam,

With regards to Windows Virtuozzo, $40.00 per month is going to be extremely tight for all of this. First of all, I do not recommend running other things like web servers, streaming media, ftp servers, etc on your box, if you are running MT4. The best course of action here is to work with your chosen host and make sure your firewall is enabled, that they have active AV scan on the node and that all non-essential services are shutoff.

For running 1 instance of MT4, 256MB of RAM should be enough. 384MB 'should' handle 2 or maybe 3 instances. Anything more than this you are going to want 512MB+. If you need a managed server and have a $40.00 budget cap, keep your VPS restricted to MT4 only and grab a 256MB VPS or a 384MB if you can find a sale/discount.

Also, KeepAlivePro shouldn't be necessary. There are easier, built-in Windows methods for automatically restarting your software after a system reboot.

Their windows vps plan is 416MB RAM(not 384MB) and the data centre is in next to new york where fxdd is located (although i'm told distance causes no latency issues with the data). I checked out jodohost as well.

Solar VPS :: Windows VPS

Does anyone know if 3 installs of metatrader WILL work with 416MB RAM?

adam777:

Yes this will be quite enough for 3 MT but it will also depend on the fact, how many charts you will open and how many experts and indicators you are running.

The only way is, to check it out with a free trial if this is offered.

Generally 412MB should be enough for 3 quite busy MT4.

bluehippo:
Yes this will be quite enough for 3 MT but it will also depend on the fact, how many charts you will open and how many experts and indicators you are running.

The only way is, to check it out with a free trial if this is offered.

Generally 412MB should be enough for 3 quite busy MT4.

It is not only dependant on how many EA's or indicators run on the metatrader... sometimes, if it is too much RAM and CPU intensive, an EA is nearly worth 10 EA's or indicators...... All EA's use diferrent amount of resources --- and all of them are different.... an EA on 2 charts would consume resources really much more than another EA on same charts.....

.... of course. 412 MB should bear 3 MT with average number of average ressource consuming EAs (and a little bit more) very good.

Best way ... try before buy

adam777:
From EuroVPS for their 640MB RAM windows vps @ $41 USD - unmanaged server

From Solar VPS for their 416MB RAM windows vps @ $42 USD - managed server

Their windows vps plan is 416MB RAM(not 384MB) and the data centre is in next to new york where fxdd is located (although i'm told distance causes no latency issues with the data). I checked out jodohost as well.

Solar VPS :: Windows VPS

Yes, 3 installs will work with 416 RAM.

Yes, there are other methods of restarting the platforms after a reboot.

However, KeepAlivePro monitors your platforms while the server is up. If just one platform freezes or crashes KAP will restart it alone.

You could have all your MT4's hang up and Windows will never know it.

There's another program called EACheck that does the same but it has fewer options.

There's a download link to a working (not demo) version of KAP elsewhere on this forum.

MT4 platforms freeze up often enough, you need some utility to monitor and restart them, never mind a system failure.

Like someone else said, keep your VPS apps to a minimum. If you're savvy enough to edit Windows Services there's a lot of stuff running there you can turn off, but know what you're doing.

VPS Guide for MT4

i've tried it on SWVPS.COM($19/mth) and VPSLAND.COM($25/mth) .... two of the more affordable service providers i've found. have been running 3 x MT4 instance on each, using just their cheapest/basic plans.... so far so good.

to make it more usable, i've scheduled a daily restart to keep it running stable (you know how windows is :O), tweeked the registry to enable auto-login after reboots, and also create a CMD file to launch the first MT4 program after a 30 second delay after a reboot and a 10 second interval between each MT4 instance (putting it in the startup folder don't always work...especially if you have more than 1 instance of MT4).

in the process, i've created a 25-page guide called "VPS Guide for MT4". i don't mind giving it away.... do visit my blog for more details

ck - ckowyong.com

Vps/vds

Hey, guys,

I need a vps or vds to run my EA 24/5. And I have found several of them, thanks to this forum as my starting point. Problem is, I cannot find any review about any of them. So I really find a hard time to choose.

So far I can only backtest my EA since Internet connection in my country is as reliable as the rain in Sahara. I find Mini VDS offer the cheapest service for the smallest space (US$5.95/m for 600 M harddisk space). I plan to use them for this test My plan is to test and hone the EA in about a year before going live.

But the cheapest not necessarily the best. If latter I find them not as good as I need them to be, when I'm going live, I will move to another VPS.

Problem is, I think moving from one VPS to another probably not as simple as it sounds. So if it's possible, I prefer to use one VPS and stay the same by the time I'm going live.

So, if anyone ever use VPS for quite some time (but please don't say you just use it for a couple of days) and satisfied with their service, will you be so kind and tell me about them?

Thank you.

Looks like they only run Linux and it's a pain in the b**t to try to run MT4 (a Windows based application) on it.

Good luck!

Lux