Writing stratergy tester results to file - page 2

Thanks again

Thanks -

I will try it on Monday, because the file functions must also not work on Stratergybuilderfx on the weekend.

Otherwise just getting things going in C# - this free IDE is very cool.

Cheers

Actually the IDE is not so cool, I uninstalled it and did the 400mb download of c# express. And will now try that.

I got another answere from metaquotes when I asked them if file functions work in startergy tester, they answered

'file functions work. but in case of testing all the processed files must be placed in the tester\files directory'

Cheers

Stephen

That's right!

cardio:
Thanks -

I will try it on Monday, because the file functions must also not work on Stratergybuilderfx on the weekend.

Otherwise just getting things going in C# - this free IDE is very cool.

Cheers

Actually the IDE is not so cool, I uninstalled it and did the 400mb download of c# express. And will now try that.

I got another answere from metaquotes when I asked them if file functions work in startergy tester, they answered

'file functions work. but in case of testing all the processed files must be placed in the tester\files directory'

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I've seen the answer too today in Metaquotes forum.

I'm wondering Why didn't they tell us that in their guide?

Anyway, When I opened MetaTrader 4\tester\files directory, I found eurud_1min.csv.

Yea, MQ is very bad about certain things like that I've noticed. I don't want to gripe about it, b/c MT4 is a solid platform...its just MQ needs to fix soo many minor things. They got major things right, but the small stuff is killing them. Maybe if enough people complain they will do something, but I don't know.

Giving up

Hi

I am giving up on the idea to try debug the EA in C# - porting the thing seems so daughting and I see in Metaquotes version 149 they say that breakpoints will be implemented - hopefully this will enable debugging - anyhow - just to let you know what is happening - if I get more time I will continue for now though - just trial and error.

cheers

Could I help?

cardio:
Hi

I am giving up on the idea to try debug the EA in C# - porting the thing seems so daughting and I see in Metaquotes version 149 they say that breakpoints will be implemented - hopefully this will enable debugging - anyhow - just to let you know what is happening - if I get more time I will continue for now though - just trial and error.

cheers

cardio,

I'm so sorry to hear that .

Could I know exactly what do you want to do? Maybe I can help.

not to worry

Thanks for your help - the idea of porting the EA to C# was a bad one - requiring to much recoding - now I will just debug by writing out all my variable to a file and see what is going on - so not to worry - lets try make some money.

Debug window!

cardio:
Thanks for your help - the idea of porting the EA to C# was a bad one - requiring to much recoding - now I will just debug by writing out all my variable to a file and see what is going on - so not to worry - lets try make some money.

cradio,

Is it helpful to see a window with the state of all the variables during the backtesting, I can code that in VC++ for you (when I've time).

Sounds good

Hi

That would require putting breakpoints into the EA - and putting the EA into the VC++ enviroment, right? - Else how do you debug? That is what I was trying to do with C# - I have sufficient data to test, and an EA that is basically written in C, - but that contains lots of custom functions like OrderSelect, OrderType, OrderLots - these would have to be rewritten to return the proper values. Functions such as iMA would not have to be written as they can be caluclated in the startergy tester and fed into the program.

If you have the time to do this - or another idea - I would love to test it. I will post up my current method of debugging - if and when I get it going.

Cheers

watches window

cardio:
Hi

That would require putting breakpoints into the EA - and putting the EA into the VC++ enviroment, right? - Else how do you debug? That is what I was trying to do with C# - I have sufficient data to test, and an EA that is basically written in C, - but that contains lots of custom functions like OrderSelect, OrderType, OrderLots - these would have to be rewritten to return the proper values. Functions such as iMA would not have to be written as they can be caluclated in the startergy tester and fed into the program.

If you have the time to do this - or another idea - I would love to test it. I will post up my current method of debugging - if and when I get it going.

Cheers

Hi

My idea was creating a dll in VC++ which you can use in MT4 for debuging your expert advisor.

It will generate a report and pop up a window with the state of the varaibles you use in your EA (like a c++ debuging method called watches).

Sounds terrific

that would be great - and much appreciated.

The idea of writing out the variable to a file is coming along very well and I should be able to post up an example tomorrow.