Script folder path

I have couple of questions regarding the installation path for Scripts folder on some of PCs.

‌‌When I install mine, it located at C:‌/Program Files (x86)/<broker> but my friends installed at the C:\Users\User_account_name\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\Instance_id

W‌ould like to know why is it like this?

‌Secondly, how do I get the Instance_id of the folder? Following the post from https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149578/, I still failed to get the Instance_id from it and since it is an old post, I would not want to revive the post.

Am making a program to copy and paste .ex4 files to the Script folder, so I would need to know the Instance_id. I am using NodeJS to automate the copy/paste scripts.

Sorry in advance if my question is not clear and thank you in advance.

EA Install and setting a path to custom indicators
  • www.mql5.com
Hello everyone, Please excuse my somewhat limited technical knowledge as I try to describe my problem...

xjellyfishx: W‌ould like to know why is it like this?
Because that is what Metaquotes decided. Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles 17.02.2014

whroeder1:
Because that is what Metaquotes decided. Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles 17.02.2014

Hey, thanks for the article.

B‌ut what confused me is that I install the MetaTrader later than my friend but I still get the "old" folder path instead of new one.

I‌s there any detailed explaination to the generation of Instance_id? I know it follows the installation path but what I want is the step by step of generating it.

‌Following the post (https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149578), seems like people figure out but I couldn't get it and some have different way of getting the Instance_id? It is old post so I would not want to revive the post.

‌‌Am stucked at this https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149578/page2#comment_3752918 second step.

T‌hanks in advance and sorry if I posted at wrong section.

• www.mql5.com
Hello everyone, Please excuse my somewhat limited technical knowledge as I try to describe my problem...

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with your operating system.

I have only recently thrown out my old computer and invested in a laptop with Windows 10. On my old computer (XP) I had the  "old" folder path instead of new one. ‌

Keith Watford:

I am not sure, but it may have something to do with your operating system.

I have only recently thrown out my old computer and invested in a laptop with Windows 10. On my old computer (XP) I had the  "old" folder path instead of new one. ‌

Well, another friend of mine installed and got the new path. Same Windows 7 as me but he's on 32-bit while mine is 64-bit. 

Portable mode, and Windows XP, will try to save data in the installation folder. This works fine provided you don't run into UAC issues.

In all other cases, the terminal data folder is located at C:\Users\User_account_name\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\Instance_id

T‌his change sidesteps any UAC issues.

Please note that the terminal data folder isn't the same as the installation folder, unless you're running in portable mode or Windows XP. You should have an installation folder and a separate terminal data folder.

honest_knave:

Portable mode, and Windows XP, will try to save data in the installation folder. This works fine provided you don't run into UAC issues.

In all other cases, the terminal data folder is located at C:\Users\User_account_name\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\Instance_id

T‌his change sidesteps any UAC issues.

Please note that the terminal data folder isn't the same as the installation folder, unless you're running in portable mode or Windows XP. You should have an installation folder and a separate terminal data folder.

I do know regarding the seperation of the data folder from the installation folder. Is there any step by step guide on how to get the "Instance_id"?‌