Ability to backtest EA based on multiple pair condition?

Fellow forum members,

I am starting to think about making the move to MT5 from Mt4 and before I get some of my stuff coded I would like to ask more experienced users if what I am looking for is possible to backtest on MT5. I know MT5 has the ability to backtest multipair strategies but i am not too sure if it is possible to do what i will be attempting

Essentially the EA trades strenght vs weakness of various pairs... so lets say I want to trade USDJPY, it looks at all USD crosses to determine USD strenght or weakness and then looks at all JPY crosses to determine JPY strenght or weakness. Then it will trade based on how strong or weak USD and JPY are.

My question is, can MT5 backtest such strategy where an EA is looking for certain conditions on all related crosses before making a decision?

Appreciate you inputs.

Green pips to all! ;)

Yes, you can analyze many symbols and trade many pairs in MT5 tester.

Bernardo David:

Fellow forum members,

I am starting to think about making the move to MT5 from Mt4 and before I get some of my stuff coded I would like to ask more experienced users if what I am looking for is possible to backtest on MT5. I know MT5 has the ability to backtest multipair strategies but i am not too sure if it is possible to do what i will be attempting

Essentially the EA trades strenght vs weakness of various pairs... so lets say I want to trade USDJPY, it looks at all USD crosses to determine USD strenght or weakness and then looks at all JPY crosses to determine JPY strenght or weakness. Then it will trade based on how strong or weak USD and JPY are.

My question is, can MT5 backtest such strategy where an EA is looking for certain conditions on all related crosses before making a decision?

Appreciate you inputs.

Green pips to all! ;)

Yes. In MT4 too by the way.

Alain Verleyen: Yes. In MT4 too by the way.
Multi-currency EA in MT4 Strategy Tester???? Since when???? Not unless you are talking about testing one symbol at a time and then combining the results somehow?

Fernando Carreiro:
Multi-currency EA in MT4 Strategy Tester???? Since when???? Not unless you are talking about testing one symbol at a time and then combining the results somehow?

I want to trade USDJPY.

Trade one symbol, check multiple currencies, no problem.‌

Alain Verleyen: I want to trade USDJPY. ( Trade one symbol, check multiple currencies, no problem.‌ )

The OP stated that the decision process needs to lookup data on crosses so as to calculate Strength/Weakness!

... so lets say I want to trade USDJPY, it looks at all USD crosses to determine USD strenght or weakness and then looks at all JPY crosses to determine JPY strenght or weakness

EDIT: ‌You have amended your post, but I was always under the impression that one could not lookup data from other pairs in the Strategy Tester in MT4 when testing an EA.

EDIT2: If that is indeed the case, then that opens up the possibility of some EA tests that I never tried on MT4 before and only tested them on MT5.‌ Thanks for the info!

Fernando Carreiro:

The OP stated that the decision process needs to lookup data on crosses so as to calculate Strength/Weakness!

EDIT: ‌You have amended your post, but I was always under the impression that one could not lookup data from other pairs in the Strategy Tester in MT4 when testing an EA.

EDIT2: If that is indeed the case, then that opens up the possibility of some EA tests that I never tried on MT4 before and only tested them on MT5.‌ Thanks for the info!

I edited 2 seconds after publishing to be clearer. You are very eager ;-)

Happy to help you.‌

I got confused by you 2 and the editing now! :D Sorry to bother again...

Can that be accomplished on MT4 also? If I am trading USDJPY, am I able to check the crosses on strategy tester?

Regards

Bernardo David: I got confused by you 2 and the editing now! :D Sorry to bother again...

Can that be accomplished on MT4 also? If I am trading USDJPY, am I able to check the crosses on strategy tester?
Yes, that is what @Alain Verleyen has stated! I too, was surprised!

Bernardo David:
I got confused by you 2 and the editing now! :D Sorry to bother again...

Regards

Yes.

Trade 1 pair only but access any pairs data.

Alain Verleyen:

Yes.

Trade 1 pair only but access any pairs data.

Important limitation here is that you can access only OHLC data of all symbols other than current work symbol. This means that in MT4 you can measure multicurrency strengths on bar-by-bar principle only. You can not do it by ticks. MT5 allows you to analyze multiple symbols by ticks.