What 'Maximum Spread' setting, do you consider "safe" for your EA to trade with?

• 29% (10)
  • 11% (4)
  • 17% (6)
  • 9% (3)
  • 9% (3)
  • 17% (6)
  • 9% (3)
Total voters: 35

For the major pairs, that is.

Eleni Anna Branou:
  • 1 pip
  • 2 pips
  • 3 pips
  • 4 pips
  • 5 pips
  • up to 10 pips
  • more than 10 pips (it doesn't matter really)
It depends on the Currency Pair and the Type of Strategy, but I don't use a "fixed" amount.

I prefer using an the average plus 1 to 2 standard deviations to mark the maximum allowable spread as a filter.

So, Fernardo, for the major pairs (EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, GBPUSD, AUDUSD, USDCAD) you would go for the 1.5-2 pips standard spread plus an additional 1-2 pips, that's about 3.5 to 4 pips max. Correct?

Eleni Anna Branou: So, Fernardo, for the major pairs (EURUSD, USDJPY, USDCHF, AUDUSD, USDCAD) you could go for the 1.5-2 pips standard spread plus an additional 1-2 pips, that's about 3.5 to 4 pips max. Correct?
No, that is not what I said. I said "average" (MA) + ratio * "standard Deviation" (StdDev) of that average. The values you propose are just assumptions you come up with.

You are not considering the type of account (ECN has much lower average spreads), nor are you considering that the average spread varies along the course of the day or week.

I was talking for a standard account (not ECN). So, you wouldn't have a fixed max spread, as a standard spread filter value?

Eleni Anna Branou: I was talking for a standard account (not ECN). So, you would't have a fixed max spread, as a standard spread filter value?
No! As I stated - I don't use fixed max spread! Besides, even for a Standard account, the standard deviation can easily be below one pip. Please note that this is not the maximum excursion, but the Standard Deviation of a Moving average.

OK, thanks.

It depends on your strategy trading, for me it doesn't matter