MetaTrader not working (log in / connection issue?)

Hello all,

I'm new here (just created this account in order to ask for help with a problem I've been having recently and to which I have found no solution online), so I apologize if I'm writing this on the wrong section of the forum.

I'm a regular user with practically no coding skills, and I am only interested in the platform to open a demo account and test my trading system on the Forex market. I have had the MetaTrader app on my phone for over a year, and recently I decided to download the software for my PC.

My issue is the following:

Whenever I log in to an account (ANY account) and MetaTrader starts connecting to the server, the platform immediately shuts down. After numerous attempts I have discovered that the issue happens ONLY when the platform is connecting to the internet. If I don't log in, the blue icon at the bottom right remains at 0/0 kb and the plaform doesn't shut down. When I log in, the numbers that appear next to the blue icon start increasing rapidly until the platform closes in about a second.

I must also mention that the 4 graphs that appear by default on screen appear to be all black and "waiting for update".

I really need some help with this issue because I'm planning to start investing seriously in the near future with a PC platform, and I have not been able to make it work so far. I have already tried reinstalling, messing with the firewall, etc. without any result.

Thank you very much in advance. I appreciate any help you can provide.

You could look in the system logbook what happens when it closes.

It is also possible that it is a result of live update.

The rapidly increasing number is the start of the download of the chart data, this is normal on a newly installed platform.

Please check the terminal logs themselves too.

Marco vd Heijden:

You could look in the system logbook what happens when it closes.

It is also possible that it is a result of live update.

The rapidly increasing number is the start of the download of the chart data, this is normal on a newly installed platform.

Please check the terminal logs themselves too.

Hello Marco, thanks for your reply.

Could you tell me where to find the system logbook and the terminal logs, please?

EDIT: I found a folder called "logs" (MetaTrader 5 > Tester > Manager > logs) in which there was this file (20170120.txt):

PQ 0 23:12:12.429 Startup MetaTester 5 x64 build 1495 (09 Dec 2016)

RJ 0 23:12:12.432 Startup initialization finished

Not sure if that helps at all, but there it goes.

JCoronado: Could you tell me where to find the system logbook and the terminal logs, please?
Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles 17.02.2014

JCoronado:

Hello Marco, thanks for your reply.

Could you tell me where to find the system logbook and the terminal logs, please?

EDIT: I found a folder called "logs" (MetaTrader 5 > Tester > Manager > logs) in which there was this file (20170120.txt):

PQ 0 23:12:12.429 Startup MetaTester 5 x64 build 1495 (09 Dec 2016)

RJ 0 23:12:12.432 Startup initialization finished

Not sure if that helps at all, but there it goes.

Why are you opening a topic in MT4 section if your platform is MT5 ?

Alain Verleyen: Why are you opening a topic in MT4 section if your platform is MT5 ?
Probably because he download what he thought was MT4 from the MetaQuotes site!

Fernando Carreiro:
Probably because he download what he thought was MT4 from the MetaQuotes site!

You don't know it. Maybe, maybe not.

2020.03.23 23:39:30.976 Account: connect to Pepperstone-Demo02 failed, check internet connection or contact broker support service
this is the error message I get wen I try login in to a new demo account

chuksnkeze:
2020.03.23 23:39:30.976 Account: connect to Pepperstone-Demo02 failed, check internet connection or contact broker support service
this is the error message I get wen I try login in to a new demo account

Either your demo account has expired (demo accounts do) or you have the wrong credentials.