EX4 write error - page 3

Why don't you move all your sources outside of the expert folder and compile it there instead? I keep all my sources and objects in my folder.

Windows 10 sounds quite buggy from various reports i've heard. I'm having a hard time tracking down where the actual compiler is for metatrader, is it built into metaeditor? i quick google search says there used to be a metalang.exe compiler and then an updated mql.exe compiler but i see no trace of this. MetaEditor does however recognise i have visual studio c++ compiler so maybe it uses that? either that or it bootstaps its own compiler within MetaEditor.

Either way the simplest method for a fixing would be to save your mq4 files, any config files for graph types etc and history data then do a fresh install of metatrader. Upgrading from w7/8 to 10 could cause some misplaced registry locations as from what ive heard the newer directory viewer and features are partially buggy. Like by default i think folders are set to "quick access" instead of "this pc" and other marginal changes. 

Have you tried running in compatibility mode as admin?  (if it still has this feature) 

Also check for updates to VS if you use it, might be a symbolic link problem between them if metaeditor does indeed use VS C++ compiler with its own DLL ontop.

Finally make sure your user has correct permissions within the user>appdata>roaming>youinstall folder. cacls foldername /t /e /g everyone:f or such. chmod was simpler.

Then just do a quick check on your environmental variables, type set for the listing, however i dont know exactly what metaeditor requires or what might have changed other than your perhaps your userdomain if w10 is using online authentication but again im not sure what effects this has. Alternately make your account an offline account and dont associate it with an outlook address or such.  

Keelan:

Windows 10 sounds quite buggy from various reports i've heard. I'm having a hard time tracking down where the actual compiler is for metatrader, is it built into metaeditor? i quick google search says there used to be a metalang.exe compiler and then an updated mql.exe compiler but i see no trace of this. MetaEditor does however recognise i have visual studio c++ compiler so maybe it uses that? either that or it bootstaps its own compiler within MetaEditor.

https://download.mql5.com/cdn/web/metaquotes.software.corp/mt5/mql.exe
https://download.mql5.com/cdn/web/metaquotes.software.corp/mt5/mql64.exe
There you get the corresponding command line tools for the same compiler which is embedded into metaeditor.exe Hope this helps.

Getting really desperate here... Last resort was delelting and re-installing the whole thing, which i did this morning. Alas.. no success. Same error message.

I have however downloaded the mql.exe compiler (mentioined above, thanks!!)  and with that i AM able to compile, even in the MQL designated folder!..

retesting the Compile button continues to giveme the same error msg and i notice it DOES delete the old file, but doesn't seem to be able the write the new one (consisten w/ error msg), whereas the command prompt compile IS able to do that. 

Is this something the more clever people on this forum can work with? How can it be that a compiler called by the "compile button" is not succesful while calling it from c:\ is working well..?

Continuing to use the command prompt isnot really an option + i don't get get my errors listed when there is a compile error (it just compiles and crap comes out..)

New MetaTrader 4 Platform build 940: Optimized for high-resolution screens - MQL4 forum
MQL4: Fixed a bug that could occasionally cause "Error writing EX4" during compilation in Windows 10

You're a godsend! I was ready to throw myself under the bus..

'occasionally' cause, well, nothing occasional here though.
anyway i'll mark the 11th in my calendar.

Thanks again Mr. Röder! 

http://www.forex.in.rs/metatrader-ex4-write-error-after-windows-10-upgrade-solved/

WOW - that was simple!! Had i only known a week ago, i wouldn't have wasted so much precious time. Thanks so much sosa! 

Meanwhile the new version has not been released yet....