Evaluating Trading Strategies

Just a question, How do we evaluate trading strategies? sinces some only work from time to time. (for example form 2000 untill 2002 and than turn losing up to 2007 and than start being profatable again?)

can anybody point me in a directon of maybe sugest some literature ?

Thanks 

renenrla: Just a question, How do we evaluate trading strategies? sinces some only work from time to time. (for example form 2000 untill 2002 and than turn losing up to 2007 and than start being profatable again?) can anybody point me in a directon of maybe sugest some literature ?

This one is a Classic. Here. && Here.

News - Automated Trading Championship 2008
  • championship.mql5.com
News - Automated Trading Championship 2008

It depends on the strategies. For example, if you (for example) are trading on D1 timeframe from zero to few trades in a month so it may be important to calculate the profit yearly. But if you are having many trades in a day so you will not need 2000 and 2002 results for example.

Besides, it may be important about what is the strategy ... martingale, scalping, or classical trading system with one open trade per pair or per account ... I mean: does the trader understand some strategy as an instrument to invest money (i mean: the strategy was tested, traded on demo and/or with real money etc), or trader wants "just to try" ...

renenrla:

Just a question, How do we evaluate trading strategies? sinces some only work from time to time. (for example form 2000 untill 2002 and than turn losing up to 2007 and than start being profatable again?)

can anybody point me in a directon of maybe sugest some literature ?

Thanks 

Market changes due to news (fundamental) therefore technical analysis fails.

EA is not a wonder. You yourself is the key to use which EA at which time.

Use a trend ea when it is trending. Use a range ea when it is ranging. You have to manage that.

If you can combine these two and make it truly auto then you are there. Hands off.

Analyze the test, use the EA only in the same market that the test shows best results.