refreshing EAs do not show up on strategy tester....

When I refreshed the navigator window to show new EAs (build 670), I see the new EAs available for trading.  But I do not see the new EAs available for backtesting in the strategy tester.

So that means that either the strategy tester also needs a 'refresh' button to refresh the available expert advisors.  This is also true for the symbols available in the tester.  The market watch symbols showing on startup are the only symbols considered.  If I add more symbols or take some away, the tester symbols list is not updating.  So a refresh is needed here as well.

Unless I am missing something.

I have found this problem occasionally where some EAs don't appear in the ST drop down list.

Attach the EA to the chart that you want to test it with (make sure that live trading is disabled)

Press F6

ST will open with the EA selected

Remember to remove the EA from the chart that you attached it to 

4evermaat:

When I refreshed the navigator window to show new EAs (build 670), I see the new EAs available for trading.  But I do not see the new EAs available for backtesting in the strategy tester.

So that means that either the strategy tester also needs a 'refresh' button to refresh the available expert advisors.  This is also true for the symbols available in the tester.  The market watch symbols showing on startup are the only symbols considered.  If I add more symbols or take some away, the tester symbols list is not updating.  So a refresh is needed here as well.

Unless I am missing something.

Make sure the last compile had no errors.

SDC:

Make sure the last compile had no errors.

The compiling isn't the problem.  You can actually copy an EA directly to the terminal MQL4\Experts folder which is what I did and then hit refresh in the navigator window. The new EA is showing up in the navigator, where you can drag it to the chart for live trading.  But if you open the strategy tester, it is not showing.  You'd have to restart the terminal to get the new EA to show up in the tester.  I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but see that it could be a bug.

The whole point of the refresh is to make the new EAs available throughout the terminal WITHOUT restarting terminal.  The same is true for market watch symbols.  Only the ones available on startup are shown in the available symbols of the strategy tester.  If I change symbols in the market watch, I need a method to refresh the symbols list in the tester also, WITHOUT having to restart the terminal.

When you restart the terminal, you have to start fresh and you potentially lose all of the past activity that was done in real time on your charts; mainly objects that relied on tick-by-tick precision to draw correctly.

4evermaat:You can actually copy an EA directly to the terminal MQL4\Experts folder which is what I did and then hit refresh in the navigator window. The new EA is showing up in the navigator, where you can drag it to the chart for live trading.  But if you open the strategy tester, it is not showing. 

Well if you had said that in your original post ...

Anyway the best thing to do is post that information to the service desk so the developers might correct it.

I know it's an old thread, but it came up in a Google search.  To refresh the strategy tester (and the tree) without restarting the terminal, simply open the editor and compile an EA.  Everything will refresh.  Write your own empty EA if you need to, just to open it and hit the Compile button when you need to refresh things.