can't access metaeditor from external

I heard MT4 was portable, so I recently downloaded MT4 onto my external so that I can work on code while I'm not on my home desktop. I can access the terminal and charts fine, but I can't access meta editor. Pressing f4/clicking on it in the terminal doesn't bring anything up, and if I try to open it via opening the source file in the broker/mql4/indicators folder, it asks me to find the program to open it with. I did notice the first time I opened up the folders on my external to open the MT4 terminal that it seemed like metaeditor was there for a second, and then disappeared/removed itself? I'm wondering if this has something to do with how mt4 seems to be storing data in the extremely complicated users/app/roamingdata/whatever location as opposed to the actual MT4 folder, but either way I don't have a solution for it. Another way of phrasing this question is: how do I download MT4 onto an external in a way that lets me use MQL4 on a computer that doesn't have mt4?

twentytwo:  I heard MT4 was portable, how do I download MT4 onto an external
Are you starting it with the /portable switch? https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149271

Ah I was not aware of that. I will try it out, thanks!

Still no luck, but I'm wondering if I'm just not doing it correctly... I downloaded mt4 and set the target location to my external/portable. I end up with the same problem as before; I opened it up today to try it out and the MQL4 icon was there for a bit, but disappeared about a few seconds.