MT4 downloads unpredictable

Why is it that downloading the MT4 installer from the MetaQuotes official download location results in software that connects to different servers? I have seen installers that connect to:

• MetaQuotes Demo
  • Alpari
  • FXCM

What is the reason behind this (from MetaQuotes' perspective)? Because from user perspective it is very confusing and annoying.

Would it not make much more sense to have the official MT4 downloader always install the terminal for MetaQuotes demo servers? And if people want a particular broker they can go to that broker's site and get their MT4 platform.

For example:

- the installer which I downloaded on Fri, 2014-01-17 (485 KB, Build 509) is for MT4 which uses Alpari Demo UK;

- installer downloaded on 2013-04-05 which also claims to be "Build 509" but 453 KB is for MetaQuotes Demo Server.

And why is there no uninstall entry for the MT4 software in "Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs" ?

4x4ever:
And why is there no uninstall entry for the MT4 software in "Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs" ?

Maybe your system is broken ?

That is possible but then it would most likely mean that it was broken by installing and uninstalling MT4 - this is a Oracle VirtualBox machine with Windows XP and pretty much nothing else on it except for MetaTrader. That is what I created this VM for and that's what I have been doing on it - installed/uninstalled several versions of MT4. Is there any registry setting or some other thing that I could check to see whether it is "broken"?

Another possibility is that this works in the Control panel of Win7/Vista and not XP?

Do you have an answer to my initial question whether MetaQuotes plan to provide a download location that people could use to download a "standard" installer (i.e. one which always connects to the demo.metaquotes server)?

4x4ever:

That is possible but then it would most likely mean that it was broken by installing and uninstalling MT4 - this is a Oracle VirtualBox machine with Windows XP and pretty much nothing else on it except for MetaTrader. That is what I created this VM for and that's what I have been doing on it - installed/uninstalled several versions of MT4.

Another possibility is that this works in the Control panel of Win7/Vista and not XP?

Yep, it could be.

Do you have an answer to my initial question whether MetaQuotes plan to provide a download location that people could use to download a "standard" installer (i.e. one which always connects to the demo.metaquotes server)?

You are privy to as much information as I am . . . being a Moderator I just get additional hassles without any benefits at all. You could make a suggestion via the Service Desk