How do I encrypt a mql4 file? - page 2

alladir:

The only way MT4 can use an encrypted file is if IT knows the encryption key. Hopeful, that is what's happening with the new MT4.

If you just encrypt with some other program.. of course MT4 cannot read the file - it's like locking your cash in a safe, and then finding you can't spend it.. Seems, currently we have no defence, other than to delete the mq4 file.

You do have another option, you can encrypt the entire server, encryption such as truecrypt decrypts on the fly. That means the only time unencrypted versions of the file exist is while they are in RAM.

ubzen:
I have a question? Lets say he encrypt his .ex4_files and place that on his vps. Would the platform be able to use the .ex4?
alladir:

The only way MT4 can use an encrypted file is if IT knows the encryption key. Hopeful, that is what's happening with the new MT4.

If you just encrypt with some other program.. of course MT4 cannot read the file - it's like locking your cash in a safe, and then finding you can't spend it.. Seems, currently we have no defence, other than to delete the mq4 file.

You do have another option, you could encrypt the entire server. Encryption such as truecrypt decrypts on the fly so the only time un-encrypted versions of the files on it exist is when they are in RAM.

SDC: You do have another option, you could encrypt the entire server. Encryption such as truecrypt decrypts on the fly so the only time un-encrypted versions of the files on it exist is when they are in RAM.

Yeah I agree, this seems like a viable option for the OP. Sounds like his fear is having his VPS provider steal his system. The program is free and wiki says it encrypts servers. So problem solved :) .... Op just need to now research TrueCrypt how-to.

I heard a story about truecrypt, apparently last year the FBI seized computers and hardrives belonging to a guy they were investigating but he had encrypted them with truecrypt. The FBI were unable to break the encryption. A grand jury ordered him to produce the decrypted files he refused so the court jailed him for contempt. Later a Federal court found his rights had been violated because under the 5th amendment he could not be forced to reveal his encryption key.

I would say that suggests truecrypt is pretty good encryption.

sounds ideal! thanks

ttechnik:

No problem decoding the program ..
This is not a serious defense

So you didn't mean the mql4 file you meant the .ex4 file, wait a few months for the new compiler and terminal, then your .ex4 may be encrypted during compiling.

SDC:
You do have another option, you could encrypt the entire server. Encryption such as truecrypt decrypts on the fly so the only time un-encrypted versions of the files on it exist is when they are in RAM.
How can MT4 access the drive if it is encrypted ? it needs to access DLLs, write HST files and log files, etc.

I dont know exactly how it does that, the entire partition or drive is encrypted/decrypted on the fly including the operating system its some clever stuff they call it pipelining. Ive been reading the documentation on it, I think I might install it on my laptop.

When encrypting or decrypting data, TrueCrypt uses so-called pipelining (asynchronous processing). While an application is loading a portion of a file from a TrueCrypt-encrypted volume/drive, TrueCrypt is automatically decrypting it (in RAM). Thanks to pipelining, the application does not have wait for any portion of the file to be decrypted and it can start loading other portions of the file right away. The same applies to encryption when writing data to an encrypted volume/drive.

Pipelining allows data to be read from and written to an encrypted drive as fast as if the drive was not encrypted (the same applies to file-hosted and partition-hosted TrueCrypt volumes).*

SDC:

I dont know exactly how it does that, the entire partition or drive is encrypted/decrypted on the fly including the operating system its some clever stuff they call it pipelining. Ive been reading the documentation on it, I think I might install it on my laptop.

OK, so if someone got access to the VPS either physically or via some kind of remote access they could still access the encrypted drive via file manager and copy files off . . . I assume.

Proximus:

What do you mean by that, can they steal files from my PC?

thx,

I to delete mqh, ex4 files after loading ?