Timeframe enumeration

Hi,

I'm having a problem with using a function to return the lowest value of the current 5 min bar using an EA attached to a H1 chart.

The problem seems to be with the timeframe enumeration. I tried finding an answer on the forum but couldn't.

Here's my code:

Print("val= ",Low[iLowest(NULL,5,MODE_LOW,1,0)]); OR

Print("val= ",Low[iLowest(NULL,PERIOD_M5,MODE_LOW,1,0)]);

When I attach the EA to a H1 chart I just get the low of the current Hourly bar printed to the screen, but I want the low of the current 5 minute bar, hence why I use "PERIOD_M5" as my second input parameter as documented by timeframe enumeration.

Is this not what I should expect??

any help appreciated!

Ciaran.

14967057 :

Hi,

I'm having a problem with using a function to return the lowest value of the current 5 min bar using an EA attached to a H1 chart.

The problem seems to be with the timeframe enumeration. I tried finding an answer on the forum but couldn't.

Here's my code:

Print("val= ",Low[iLowest(NULL,5,MODE_LOW,1,0)]); OR

Print("val= ",Low[iLowest(NULL,PERIOD_M5,MODE_LOW,1,0)]);

When I attach the EA to a H1 chart I just get the low of the current Hourly bar printed to the screen, but I want the low of the current 5 minute bar, hence why I use "PERIOD_M5" as my second input parameter as documented by timeframe enumeration.

Is this not what I should expect??

No. What does Low return ? " . . . the lowest prices of each bar of the current chart. " did you see where it said current chart ? why should it return the Low for the M5 bar when your current chart is H1 ?

Read the documentation for iLow()

When posting code please use the SRC button: How to use the SRC button.

on the H1 chart Low[x] is the H1's low, not the M5. Don't mix apples and oranges.

If you want the current M5 bar's low, ask for it

double lowM5 = iLow(NULL,PERIOD_M5,0);
Print("val= ",lowM5);
If you want to find which M5 bar is the current low of the H1 bar
datetime currentHour    = Time[0];                                  // H1 chart assumed
int iCurrentHourM5      = iBarShift(NULL, PERIOD_M5, currentHour);  // M5 index
int iCurrentHourM5Low   = iLowest(MODE_LOW, iCurrentHourM5 + 1, 0); // Lowest M5 iCHM5..0 inclusive
double CurrentHourM5Low = iLow(NULL, PERIOD_M5, iCurrentHourM5Low);
Print( "val= CurrentHourM5Low );

RaptorUK :

No. What does Low return ? " . . . the lowest prices of each bar of the current chart. " did you see where it said current chart ? why should it return the Low for the M5 bar when your current chart is H1 ?

Read the documentation for iLow()

When posting code please use the SRC button: How to use the SRC button.

Thanks a lot Raptor. I used iLow, and this gave me what i want!! I was about to give up on this too!

best,

Ciaran.

Hi WHRoeder,

Thanks to you too. I'll have a play around with your suggested code as well for locating the desired bar, which might come in handy in the future.

best,

Ciaran.