New MetaTrader 4 Platform Build 500: Trading from Chart and Company's Web Site in the Client Terminal - page 6

Trevhib:

I'm not very technical but what I do know is that this latest build blocks MT4i's spread controller from working, which causes numerous testing headaches.  Not insurmountable problems but it's certainly made life more awkward and unnecessarily so. 

The following article appears to cover the reason why things like the spread controller no longer work in the latest update and if I understand it correctly, this is a big step in the wrong direction in my opinion:

http://www.forexbrokerz.com/news/forex-mt4-build-500-problem-consequences-automated-fx-trading 

Can anyone tell me, are they going the same route with MT5? 

From the start MT5 is more closed but also more complete. Coders have more possibilities within MQL5 but have to follow what MQ decided. For example you can't import or use your own data.

The article you provide the link is interesting, but it's only one side. The future will tell if MQ is right or wrong to eliminate third party tools for MT4.

Trevhib:

Hi Raptor. 

No, as I'm not a member of mql5.com.  However, FWIW I have just done what is necessary to log this request (i.e. register on that site and submit, #756174).  After years of users suffering this problem, if there haven't already been a raft of suggestions along the same lines I'll be stunned.  Anyway, I've asked for some insight as to why it's not been dealt with previously.

I'll provide any answer I receive on this thread.  

Well done 

Thanks guys.

For example in MT5 you can't import or use your own data." - whoa!  That would be a problem for us.  If a professional prop house in London says - prove that EA strategy to us using our data, then we'd be stuck.  Also, what would be the point of the generic download from the MQL5 site if you can't populate it with data from somewhere like DiskTrading for example?

Apologies for the off-topic questions.  Atm we use a spread betting vehicle on MT4 so I have not looked at porting to MT5 yet (so I don't know much about the platform), since it appears no provider offers MT5 with spread betting currently.

Trev. 

Trevhib:

Thanks guys.

For example in MT5 you can't import or use your own data." 

Thats not quite 100% correct . . .  if your data comes from another MT5 Broker as MT5 history data it can be used.  What you can't do it take data from MT4 or in a CSV format, etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Wow, I'm gob-smacked.  All the work done to collate/create/purchase valuable, long-term, accurate historical datasets for various instruments in order to conduct meaningful, repeatable and detailed back testing in MT4 will be left behind?  I guess there is no .hst to .hcc converter (if that is even a valid idea)?

Trevhib:

Thanks for the clarification.

Wow, I'm gob-smacked.  All the work done to collate/create/purchase valuable, long-term, accurate historical datasets for various instruments in order to conduct meaningful, repeatable and detailed back testing in MT4 will be left behind?  I guess there is no .hst to .hcc converter (if that is even a valid idea)?

It seems that only you and I understand the importance of repeatability and reproducibility when it comes to testing,  I've had this argument on the mql5 forum and got nowhere.

The MT5 history files are encrypted.

I'm lost for words.  Thanks for your help. 

Build 500 is always crashing for me after a few hours of optimization (optimizing an EA that does NO external DLL calls), though CPU temps are fine and the whole computer passes Prime95 and other tests absolutely fine even with a 96 hours run. Can Metaquotes or someone here please look at the attached crash-log and let me know what the cause could be? I guess it´s to do with build 500 as build 482 never crashed for me during optimization.
Files:
crash.zip  8 kb

geektrader:
Build 500 is always crashing for me after a few hours of optimization (optimizing an EA that does NO external DLL calls), though CPU temps are fine and the whole computer passes Prime95 and other tests absolutely fine even with a 96 hours run. Can Metaquotes or someone here please look at the attached crash-log and let me know what the cause could be? I guess it´s to do with build 500 as build 482 never crashed for me during optimization.

GeekT, how were you able to do a run of 96hrs given the 2gb .fxt limit?  Was it on a previous build with Birt's patch implemented?  Or tick volume removed from historical data?

Mods, what is the usual response time to service desk requests?

Trevhib:

GeekT, how were you able to do a run of 96hrs given the 2gb .fxt limit?  Was it on a previous build with Birt's patch implemented?  Or tick volume removed from historical data?

A CPU intensive EA can take a very, very long time to run . . .  also  read this:  https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/143812

Trevhib:

Mods, what is the usual response time to service desk requests?

There is no usual time,  I have had a response the same day to some requests,  I also have one outstanding request from the 8th Feb with no response despite me giving a reminder and also one from 18th March with no reply . . .