Debug MQL4 and Eclipse plugin (or other IDE)

Hello everybody!

I'm looking for a best option to program my strategies and indicators. The Metatrader editor it's so poor if you compare with other languages (or others IDE's). Is there any way to debug our code..or at least, program our codes more easily?

I found a Eclipse pulguin in internet, but I can't download it and I don't know other way to compile the code and precompile it while I'm writing it.

Please, some help? I'm very used to use Eclipse in my job but for Java!

Thank you in advance! 

dream3r:

Hello everybody!

I'm looking for a best option to program my strategies and indicators. The Metatrader editor it's so poor if you compare with other languages (or others IDE's). Is there any way to debug our code..or at least, program our codes more easily?

I found a Eclipse pulguin in internet, but I can't download it and I don't know other way to compile the code and precompile it while I'm writing it.

Get a good text editor that you can use to open very, very large  log  (txt)  files.

Learn how to use  Print()  Comment()  and Alert() 

For your EAs, and to a lesser degree for Indicators, learn how to use the Strategy Tester

Hello RaptorUK!

Yes, actually I'm a programmer in Java, but I've developed some strategies in MQL4. Everything I've developed are displaying the values on screen and real time, but it's quite hard program without help. Some help from IDE or autocompiling program, could be the best option. You, as a good programmer in MetaTrader4, don't use this kind of programs? 

Another question on the way...how can I try my strategies? I mean, I used to use Strategy tester, but when I open the tester, every time,I have to put all of the indicators, and I can't go back in time when something that I'm studying with the strategy have happened. How can I do that?

Thank you in advance! 

dream3r:

Hello RaptorUK!

Yes, actually I'm a programmer in Java, but I've developed some strategies in MQL4. Everything I've developed are displaying the values on screen and real time, but it's quite hard program without help. Some help from IDE or autocompiling program, could be the best option. You, as a good programmer in MetaTrader4, don't use this kind of programs? 

Another question on the way...how can I try my strategies? I mean, I used to use Strategy tester, but when I open the tester, every time,I have to put all of the indicators, and I can't go back in time when something that I'm studying with the strategy have happened. How can I do that?

You can make use of the tester.tpl template to add your Indicators automatically when you run the Strategy Tester.  You can't go backwards, just start the run again from a day or 2 before the date you wnat to look at in detail, it's not an efficient process I know but it's all we have.

RaptorUK:
You can make use of the tester.tpl template to add your Indicators automatically when you run the Strategy Tester.  You can't go backwards, just start the run again from a day or 2 before the date you wnat to look at in detail, it's not an efficient process I know but it's all we have.

This tester.tpl template...where can I modify?? It's just for testing? Can I have more than one of tester.tpl?

dream3r:

Hello everybody!

Please, some help? I'm very used to use Eclipse in my job but for Java!

Thank you in advance! 

I'm using Scite editor with MQL4 support. It's not Eclipse but no complicated configuration needed and is much better than the MT editor. You can compile directly in the editor.

dream3r:

This tester.tpl template...where can I modify?? It's just for testing? Can I have more than one of tester.tpl?
You can create templates for each of your EAs if you wish then when you run a particular EA the same named template will be loaded.  Setup a chart as you wish,  save the template as tester.tpl for a default Strategy Tester template or as  ea_name.tpl  for a specific EA template.

fxjozef:

I'm using Scite editor with MQL4 support. It's not Eclipse but no complicated configuration needed and is much better than the MT editor. You can compile directly in the editor.

Thank you! I'll try it! :D

RaptorUK:
You can create templates for each of your EAs if you wish then when you run a particular EA the same named template will be loaded.  Setup a chart as you wish,  save the template as tester.tpl for a default Strategy Tester template or as  ea_name.tpl  for a specific EA template.

RaptorUK, I understand your idea! Thank you!!

So..it will be like...I create a EA named: foo.mq4 and it generate a foo.ex4. After that, I have to create the template named foo.tpl, and it will be loaded when I try on tester! Is it right? 

dream3r:

So..it will be like...I create a EA named: foo.mq4 and it generate a foo.ex4. After that, I have to create the template named foo.tpl, and it will be loaded when I try on tester! Is it right? 

You can try instead of asking this kind of questions 

Don´t think RaptorUK has to repeat himself 

dream3r:

You also might run one backtest in the strategy tester and press the "show chart" button after this backtest.

If you did not issue "HideTestIndicators(true)" in your code then you'll get a chart with all those indicators of the timeframe which your EA runs in. Even the parameters of the indicators are like that from your code.

You might save a template from this chart if you like.

See also https://docs.mql4.com/windows/hidetestindicators