iTime question

Hi All,

Having a little (ok, a lot) of trouble with iTime functions.

I'm trying to determine the closing price of a bar that opened at a particular server time today. I assume I need to get the shift to the bar, and than query the closing price.

My sticking point is getting the time shift. For example, the code below tells me how many bars since 13:00 on 1/1/1970.

I need to know how may bars since 13:00 today, without having to manually type in today's date. Can this be done?

Regards ....

datetime g_starttime = "13:00"
int shift=iBarShift(NULL,0,g_starttime);

Alert("shift of bar with open time ",TimeToStr(g_starttime)," is ",shift); 

time - Datetime as number of seconds elapsed since midnight (00:00:00), January 1, 1970.

So g_starttime needs to be in seconds.

Get a Time[i] you know about then add subtract in seconds

Hello Ickyrus,

I'm sorry to be so "thick", but I'm afraid that I don't understand you.

Basically, I'm trying to find out the closing price of the 1 hour bar that started at 1am server time today.

G-fer

DayStart_time=iTime[symbol(),PERIOD_D1,0) ;

DayStart_1AM=DayStart_time+1*60*60 ; //add 1 hour in seconds

DayStart_1PM=DayStar_time+13*60*60 ;

datetime g_starttime = "13:00"

iBarShift requires a datetime but your starttime is being initialized by a string, not a date. Bogus.

1. either StrToTime
    datetime g_starttime = StrToTime("13:00");
  2. or
    #define HR2400          86400                   // 24 * 3600
    #define HR1300          46800
    datetime TimeOfDay(datetime when){  return( when % HR2400          );       }
    datetime DateOfDay(datetime when){  return( when - TimeOfDay(when) );       }
    :
    datetime g_starttime = DateOfDay(Time[0]) + HR1300;
Remember, if the current TimeOfDay is before 1300, then iBarShift will return the current bar, not the previous trading day's 1300.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen ... I think I understand a little better now.

Does this mean that:

g_midnight=iTime(NULL,PERIOD_D1,0);
g_starttime=g_midnight+13*60*60;

and

datetime g_starttime = StrToTime("13:00");

would both return the number of bars since 1pm server time?

G-fer

edited to correct variable name

Ahh ... just answered my own question by trying a tiny EA.

Yup ... both work. Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to be aware of the error that I might cause if I try to find a time that hasn't actually happened yet.

G-fer.

G-fer:

be sure to be aware of the error that I might cause if I try to find a time that hasn't actually happened yet.

G-fer.

int iBarShift( string symbol, int timeframe, datetime time, bool exact=false)

Search for bar by open time. The function returns bar shift with the open time specified. If the bar having the specified open time is missing, the function will return -1 or the nearest bar shift depending on the exact.

You should also be aware that you are using the default find nearest bar to date time with the parameter exact set to false if its set to true then the finding a time that has not happened can be checked for with the returned error of -1.