How long did it take you? - page 2

my journey can be measured in years and several times along the way, I wondered if I was squandering my time persuing something I might not get. my latest ea is kind of working - it is the B account at this link. https://www.ibfxconnect.com/profile/serpentsnoir/B/stats the other accounts two are variants.

serpentsnoir:
my journey can be measured in years and several times along the way, I wondered if I was squandering my time persuing something I might not get. my latest ea is kind of working - it is the B account at this link. https://www.ibfxconnect.com/profile/serpentsnoir/B/stats the other accounts two are variants.

It was very interesting looking at your account. Thanks for the link! I looks like you got a good EA if it is making 30% in almost a year. That is pretty darn good in my opinion.

QuasarCreator:

It was very interesting looking at your account. Thanks for the link! I looks like you got a good EA if it is making 30% in almost a year. That is pretty darn good in my opinion.
28% loss this month isn't so good though.

You have a keen eye. The "loss" this month is open trades. 95% have closed to profit. It is grid trading without a stop loss. Yes, I know it is risky, and I have made some improvements since last November when I started it. The idea here is to hold them until they close. We can start a new thread to talk about it rather than getting into the detail here. I just wanted to respond to the original question about how long it takes to get profitable.

If it is any consolation, I have been coding several EA's for the last 6months and one is now live. The live EA has been profitable since it's inception. =) So, keep your head up!

Happy Trading.

serpentsnoir:
You have a keen eye. The "loss" this month is open trades. 95% have closed to profit. It is grid trading without a stop loss. Yes, I know it is risky, and I have made some improvements since last November when I started it. The idea here is to hold them until they close. We can start a new thread to talk about it rather than getting into the detail here. I just wanted to respond to the original question about how long it takes to get profitable.
Ah I see, so you are currently in 20% DD. Thanks for the explanation.

RaptorUK:
28% loss this month isn't so good though.

Oh, didn't see that. I guess every EA will have its down moments, just as long as it finishes in the positive!

thekaptain:

If it is any consolation, I have been coding several EA's for the last 6months and one is now live. The live EA has been profitable since it's inception. =) So, keep your head up!

Happy Trading.

Thanks for the comment. Glad to here it is possible to become profitable within 6 months.

QuasarCreator:

@Ickyrus - Yeah, It is crazy how many tests he did.

I also heard that it takes 10000 hours to become an expert at something. I'm sure it applies to programming expert advisors, indicators, ect. I heard it took Bill Gates 10000 hours of programming before he could program windows. I wonder if anyone here would say they have spent 10000 hours programming and trading forex! Everything good comes with hard work.

Ok, at roughly 21 working days a month, 8 hours a day full time would equate to around 2000 work hours a year. So to get to 10000 hours you would need to work five years full time to be an expert.