proposition for moderator

I think that it would be good to create a topic something like "Any question of a newbie", where any simple question may be asked. There are many topics from newbies, which have 1 or 2 pages only. It will be also suitable for professionals to trace just one main topic to help asking man/women or girl :).

I started doing something similar already . .

Loops and Closing or Deleting Orders

What are Function return values ? How do I use them ?

I also have a few short URLs that have useful searches in them . . .

ECN

45Digits

TrailingSL

RaptorUK:

I started doing something similar already . .

You know, I trace actively Russian MQL4 forum (English is not my native language) and there is a topic for those who have very simple (sometimes stupid) questions about programming. It is always on the 1st page of the topic’s list (almost on the top) and easy to be find by everyone. Now this topic have 4th “version”, previous (3rd version) was stopped on 651 page, I suppose because of the problem to handle by moderator.

The name of this topic suggests to describe problem in this topic firstly, not to create a new one. I think it prevents creation a huge amount of topics with very short life. Other hand, I see there are about 5 professionals (in Russian topic for beginners), who trace it and write answers. I see that such approach makes moderator’s life easier, because if someone described solution he has not to write, just read answer and sometimes correct it if it has some mistake, or if no one helped for beginner. Sometimes beginner receives several answers with different solutions, which may help him in the future.

When I was a beginner I created about 2 or 3 topics with very simple questions (from this moment’s point of view), and I was asked to direct such questions in the future to this topic. And when I started trace it I found answers to my questions, which I had not yet, but which appeared later. I think a topic “Questions from beginners” have a preventive power as well.

I decided to divide with you my observations from another side of forum :) because such approach works and make moderator’s life easier.

Frequently Asked Question was proposed by Gordon - another moderator in 2010, no realization since https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/122679

By the way, you mention 5 professionals at Russian forum, could you name them ?

paladin80:

I decided to divide with you my observations from another side of forum :) because such approach works and make moderator’s life easier.

It's nothing to do with the Moderators though, only Metaquotes can make posts "sticky" . . .

RaptorUK:

It's nothing to do with the Moderators though, only Metaquotes can make posts "sticky" . . .

I understand you, sometimes relationship with boss is difficult. I think the matter is just to make the topic stickly by changing its status like topic "Alphabetic Index of MQL4 Functions" by triangle symbol with ( ! ) inside. I don't know how to write a message directly to MetaQuotes, but if RaptorUK will be able to ask MetaQuotes do it and they will hear our "pray" it will be good. If they will not do it, ok, no problem.

Most newbies want to start coding without reading the book and understanding it thats what is going on. You cant read the book quickly in one day and understand/remember what you read.

tonny:
Most newbies want to start coding without reading the book and understanding it thats what is going on. You cant read the book quickly in one day and understand/remember what you read.

That's true, although success also depends on the book. I read "Expert Advisor Programming" by Andrew Young because I prefer reading on paper when I have a lot of reading to do. That book does contain some serious errors though ;-)