MT4 crashing silently

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone has seen this before. I have an FXCM MT4 b419 system running on a VPS. Occasionally when I log into the VPS I find MT4 is closed. The VPS hasn't been restarted and it looks as though MT4 has crashed.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas how to replicate the problem or fix it?

Stewart

Have you checked all the MT4 logs to see if there are any clues ?

stewart:

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone has seen this before. I have an FXCM MT4 b419 system running on a VPS. Occasionally when I log into the VPS I find MT4 is closed. The VPS hasn't been restarted and it looks as though MT4 has crashed.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas how to replicate the problem or fix it?

Stewart

Been there, done that. Ping the server. Google Ping software, or search at download.com.

Possible causes :

1. Windows Update, the VPS admin feel necessary to restart the VPS after Windows Update. Check the day when it stop running, if it's Tuesday US time, there's possibility of Windows Update.

2. VPS stands for virtual private server. It's a server used by several users, so the processor may have overload works. Try a dedicated one.

onewithzachy:

1. Windows Update, the VPS admin feel necessary to restart the VPS after Windows Update. Check the day when it stop running, if it's Tuesday US time, there's possibility of Windows Update.

If this is the cause it will be easy to identify . . . just check the event log . . .

RaptorUK:
Have you checked all the MT4 logs to see if there are any clues ?

If this is the cause it will be easy to identify . . . just check the event log . . .

My logs both MT and event logs show nothing, empty, blank, the admin said they have no idea. I wrote executable to find out what, why, or whatever, but it was just dead. The control panel show windows update is grayed, but it always dead on Tuesday.

For weeks (or is it months ?) I switched to my laptop and a old fan before going to dedicated - expensive :( but better that losing money coz my MT not running..

onewithzachy:

My logs both MT and event logs show nothing, empty, blank, the admin said they have no idea. I wrote executable to find out what, why, or whatever, but it was just dead. The control panel show windows update is grayed, but it always dead on Tuesday.

For weeks (or is it months ?) I switched to my laptop and a old fan before going to dedicated - expensive :( but better that losing money coz my MT not running..

What about process monitoring? I mean, you write an exe, that loads at windows startup, places itself onto the tray. And, every 5 minutes, tries to find your MT4 windows process. If does not find, starts it by createprocess. Or: communicates with an ea via tcp/ip, and, if the ea is not alive, restarts the whole MT4. (Perhaps this program is already written, and can be downloaded somewhere...)

onewithzachy:

2. VPS stands for virtual private server. It's a server used by several users, so the processor may have overload works. Try a dedicated one.

If I ever get to the point of having something worth running live it will be on my own server co-located.

erzo:
What about process monitoring? I mean, you write an exe, that loads at windows startup, places itself onto the tray. And, every 5 minutes, tries to find your MT4 windows process. If does not find, starts it by createprocess. Or: communicates with an ea via tcp/ip, and, if the ea is not alive, restarts the whole MT4. (Perhaps this program is already written, and can be downloaded somewhere...)
I have something that will tell you via email if your EA on your VPS is no longer running or not able to communicate . . . it's an EA + PHP cron job combination.

erzo:

No, the VPS simply dead. My exe was supposed to find out what, why, whatever that caused my vps turned dead. However it just dead, there's no logs whatsoever, since it's dead my exe couldn't find out about it. Like I said before, the logs just empty, blank, I couldn't figured what it was. Tired with the admin's replies, I cancel the vps.

:(

onewithzachy:

I cancel the vps.

:(

Good idea. Lot of garbage out there . . .

Ok, I had a copy of notepad open as well as MT4. When I came to revisit the VPS, MT4 was closed and notepad still open.

It may sound like a silly question, but where are the logs you refer? Are the MT4 or Windows Systems logs?