Stability issues (MT4)

My MQL auto-trading program is up and running, and it actually looks like it might make some money (I am still running in demo mode). No small thanks to the people here who helped me through the MQL4 learning curve.

But my computer is crashing periodically. It's an XP Pro system that I bought specifically for this (MT4) and sometimes that's the only thing running -- 2 or 3 instances of MT4 with my EAs. If this keeps happening I am going to miss trades, or fail to exit trades when I should.

Specifics:
MT4 version 4.00 build 4.19
XP Pro Service Pack 3
Dell Optiplex 745

Questions:

Is this common? Or is it just me and my system?

Is MT5 any more stable?

If this is common, and is not fixed in MT5, have you found any workarounds? Ie, a way to ensure the system reboots quickly, re-starting MT4 and the EAs?

Many thanks.

Lee

Your computer crashing or MT crashing ?. I had MT crash several times but didn't crash my computer. Not responding MT is most of the time but that's due to huge number of CI.

You wanna know how to make your MT not responding ? here write this in CI :

while (true)
     {
     Sleep (1);
     }

leecallen:

Questions:

I suspect it is just your system . . . when was the last time you gave it an internal blow job ?

leecallen:

My MQL auto-trading program is up and running, and it actually looks like it might make some money (I am still running in demo mode). No small thanks to the people here who helped me through the MQL4 learning curve.

But my computer is crashing periodically. It's an XP Pro system that I bought specifically for this (MT4) and sometimes that's the only thing running -- 2 or 3 instances of MT4 with my EAs. If this keeps happening I am going to miss trades, or fail to exit trades when I should.

Specifics:
MT4 version 4.00 build 4.19
XP Pro Service Pack 3
Dell Optiplex 745

Questions:

Is MT5 any more stable?

If this is common, and is not fixed in MT5, have you found any workarounds? Ie, a way to ensure the system reboots quickly, re-starting MT4 and the EAs?

Many thanks.

Lee

Having recently gone through a period were MT4 was freezing and crashing I empathize with you. The cause of my problems were self inflicted by my code. Before you point a finger at MT4 go over your code and the crashes and figure out what is actually happening. In every programmers career there comes a moment when he realizes that the OS has a bug that is causing his code to crash, eventually he realizes that its his code....

quantum123:
Having recently gone through a period were MT4 was freezing and crashing I empathize with you. The cause of my problems were self inflicted by my code. Before you point a finger at MT4 go over your code and the crashes and figure out what is actually happening. In every programmers career there comes a moment when he realizes that the OS has a bug that is causing his code to crash, eventually he realizes that its his code....

if you wonder what quantum123 is talking about, here is quantum123 most recent headache. He share his headache tough :)

onewithzachy:

if you wonder what quantum123 is talking about, here is quantum123 most recent headache. He share his headache tough :)

This is not MT4 crashing, this is Windows crashing. I think my code is good.

What I am not hearing here is, "Oh yeah, MT4 crashes Windows, we hear that all the time." So I think I will assume there is a problem specifically with my system. I guess I will move everything to a virtual machine on my main desktop system and see if it behaves better.

Thanks guys.

leecallen:

What I am not hearing here is, "Oh yeah, MT4 crashes Windows, we hear that all the time." So I think I will assume there is a problem specifically with my system. I guess I will move everything to a virtual machine on my main desktop system and see if it behaves better.

Thanks guys.

Just give it a clean . . . it's an old system, when did you last blow the dust out of the CPU heatsink ?

leecallen:

Thanks guys.

Please, don't get me wrong, here. Do you see my non responding code above there ?, If you try it, look at CPU graphic performance on your Task Manager. Your MT may not crashing, but may contribute to your system crash. Beside, if " Oh yeah, MT4 crashes Windows, we hear that all the time ", no one will ever use MT ever long time ago.

BTW, what's the specs of CPU and RAM ?

Do i hear an echo......Don't install in C/Program_Files. I understand its Xp, but it might have the whole Rights thinge going on. Allot of us here have indeed learned the hard way NOT to point the finger at Mt4 first (tho sometimes they goof with new releases). Usually the problem is within the expert/ or user expectation.

You could say the above about trading in general too :)

In order to find the cause of those crashes, I would suggest to use Dr Watson for a crash log first, see http://janakiram.wordpress.com/2007/09/26/getting-a-useful-crash-log-in-windows-xp/

onewithzachy:

BTW, what's the specs of CPU and RAM ?

The Optiplex 745 was from the Core 2 Duo and Pentium D era and was offered with XP Pro or Home, so it predates Vista, max RAM is 8 GB or 4 GB for the ultra small form factor model.