History Data Woes - page 2

hkjonus:

which MT5 broker/server do you suggest? I have Sig Trader5 (sig5.come) but the data seems sketchy and limited.

You don't need broker, you can simply download and install MT5 from this site by clicking to the link at the end of this page, then go to file/open account in it.

When it's done, and you are logged in, go to view/strategy tester. Select MACD Sample or Moving Average as expert, entire history as date, and the symbol you need, and start the test. MT5 will automatically download all data of the selected symbol. Open a chart of that symbol, and select the timeframe what you want to export, go to file menu, and click to save.

Every timeframe and symbol data contains D1, or other kind of candles at the beginning of the file, which should be deleted from there. Open the saved file with notepad, and delete those candles (lines). Select file/save as, change .csv to .txt in the filename, change coding from Unicode to ANSI, and save. Data is ready to import into MT4 history center.

LordoftheMoney:

You don't need broker, you can simply download and install MT5 from this site by clicking to the link at the end of this page, then go to file/open account in it.

When it's done, and you are logged in, go to view/strategy tester. Select MACD Sample or Moving Average as expert, entire history as date, and the symbol you need, and start the test. MT5 will automatically download all data of the selected symbol. Open a chart of that symbol, and select the timeframe what you want to export, go to file menu, and click to save.

Every timeframe and symbol data contains D1, or other kind of candles at the beginning of the file, which should be deleted from there. Open the saved file with notepad, and delete those candles (lines). Select file/save as, change .csv to .txt in the filename, change coding from Unicode to ANSI, and save. Data is ready to import into MT4 history center.

I tried for the M1 and the data only has since July 2011. How can I get more that covers longer period?

diostar:
I tried for the M1 and the data only has since July 2011. How can I get more that covers longer period?
Go to Tools/Options/Charts/Max bars in chart - select Unlimited, and restart MT5, i think it will help

LordoftheMoney:
Go to Tools/Options/Charts/Max bars in chart - select Unlimited, and restart MT5, i think it will help

Yes, that was what I did that too. Still the same. When I go to history folder I can see eurusd M1 .hcc files from 1999. But when I save .csv off the charts, its just 9-10MB, data from July 2011. I was expecting at least 20MB of data.

The Help file says this:

"Max bars in chart — bars stored in history and those shown in charts differ from each other. This difference is determined by the fact that any amount of bars can be kept in the hard disk provided that it has enough space. But the amount of bars shown in the chart is limited by the computer resources."

Perhaps this the reason? What is your advice, Lord?

Open that M1 chart, press Home button and you will see daily candles with equal OHLC levels (in 1971 on EURUSD for example).

If not, repeat the strategy test, wait until it ends, and try again. It should work.

LordoftheMoney:

Open that M1 chart, press Home button and you will see daily candles with equal OHLC levels (in 1971 on EURUSD for example). <--- yes, done.

If not, repeat the strategy test, wait until it ends, and try again. It should work. <--- I already have saved csv file. so I'll skip this. see next prb below.

But, I cant import in. When I more the file, each row looks like this, with the following columns: what is your next advice, lord?

1971.01.04 00:00 0.5369 0.5369 0.5369 0.5369 0 0

LordoftheMoney:

Open that M1 chart, press Home button and you will see daily candles with equal OHLC levels (in 1971 on EURUSD for example).

How can you see Daily candles on an M1 chart ?

RaptorUK:
How can you see Daily candles on an M1 chart ?

Yes, i saw those daily candles. It was all the way back in the 70s. My question also is when they cease exactly, in the 80s? Becuase now, I think I have to delete them. Im doing all these in excel.

Back then - the world has not discovered Japanese candlesticks, i guess. This was how it looks on M1

I don't know how the exported file looks like in excel, but after opening it with openoffice calc, i see that, every second line is empty. That's why you cannot import this file directly into MT4, and that's why you need to open it with notepad, and change extension and coding like i wrote. This is the simplest way i found, but there are surely some others. Open the .csv file with notepad, find the first candle (line) in the file which is from the timeframe you need, and delete every other one before it. Go to File menu / Save as, change the file extension to .txt, change coding to ANSI, and press save. This txt file is ready to import into MT4. This method works on my computer perfectly, i think it should do the same on your one too.