EAs Sporadically Ignoring and Over Running Stop Losses )

The MT4 terminal says that this IS the support site for the MT4 client as well. I'm well aware that this is primarily a MQL4 programming site. So if this is not also the MT4 client support as indicated in the Help section of the MT4 client (the link brings me here), where is it ?

The subject says it all: Occasionally a Stop Loss gets ignored and blows right past it always taking large losses that it wouldn't otherwise incur these. There is no set pattern, and it happens in a number of different EAs.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

When the SL is hit it becomes a market order. If the market gaps or moves too fast, the order isn't filled. Not an MQL4 problem.

I've seen servers ignore SLs completely. Happened to me yesterday. Luckily it was a Demo account. But I've seen it less frequently on Live accounts too......

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

The difference is such that it was not just a short delay. I would think that if it is delayed a short period of time on the server, that it would subsequently close the order out ASAP, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In all instances, I have manually closed the orders out myself at a significantly greater loss than would of otherwise occurred if the order had been closed at the SL point.

At first I thought it was just one particular EA. But it has been repeated with a number of different EAs.

So what's the 'Fix' is the big question?

DougRH4x:

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

The difference is such that it was not just a short delay. I would think that if it is delayed a short period of time on the server, that it would subsequently close the order out ASAP, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In all instances, I have manually closed the orders out myself at a significantly greater loss than would of otherwise occurred if the order had been closed at the SL point.

At first I thought it was just one particular EA. But it has been repeated with a number of different EAs.

So what's the 'Fix' is the big question?

I'd tend to think it may be a stop-hunting issue with the broker. Is the broker a MM or ECN? What you describe sounds all too familiar when using a MM broker (aka bucketshop)

Code all the EAs (or code an extra) to close positions.
                                /* Do not assume that in a real-money EA that a stop loss or
                                 * take profit will actually be executed if the price has gone
                                 * through that value. Yes, they are unethical and mean.
                                 * --LibOrderReliable