NOt about programming .. .about VPS - page 2

cloudbreaker:
Windows Server product not reqd. XP will do just fine. Other thing I meant to mention in choice of hosting co. Ensure that they are happy to allow you to administer your own Windows updates. Then set Windows NOT to perform them manually. You want to test MT4 with any updates before applying to your live environment. CB

This seems to be a bit of the 'chicken or the egg conundrum CB. Where would I test it on? As stated, I do have numerous hosting accounts, so I could use one with no critical apps on it as a test bed for Win Updates?

All three of my Win installations :XP & Vista 32 bit and Win7: both 32 & 64 bit OS are all fully updated and I have no problems with any of them: except for the fact that the Vista & Win7 aren't currently up and running! LoL

So do my remote hosting services have to have Server OS on it or not?

A lot of hosting companies utilize UNIX. I don't know if they use windows emulators (overhead) or if UNIX has Windows interface built into them.

gordon:

It sounds to me like u have a website hosting package... This can't be used for hosting MT4. You need a VPS (or a dedicated server) running Windows Server 2003 or 2008 (both work fine).

There are many tutorials for how to setup a VPS (or dedicated server) with MT4 on the web... Just google it.

Yes it is a web hosting package Gordon. I'll start with their customer support first. But definitely not currently in a position to have to buy UpDated MS Server OS. I do have the 'small business' version of MS Win Server 2003 though.

The hosting company definitely do NOT need to provide a server version of the OS. Win XP is fine. Choose an OS that you feel able to administer yourself. You do not need someone else interfering with your trading reliability. Regarding testing of Windows updates - do this on your own PC with MT4 running your EA on a demo account. Test each update for a couple of trading days before applying to your hosted system. Just because Microsoft haven't produced an update which has screwed up MT4 to date, doesn't mean they won't in the future. CB

cloudbreaker:
Windows Server product not reqd. XP will do just fine. Other thing I meant to mention in choice of hosting co. Ensure that they are happy to allow you to administer your own Windows updates. Then set Windows NOT to perform them manually. You want to test MT4 with any updates before applying to your live environment. CB
Windows XP based VPS are first a huge security issue. Would you be confident trading real money using an old 'fully bugged' system ? I'd rather not !

I just want to make a point regarding this discussion thread.

There are surely dozen of VPS providers around the world (just google 'vps'). The problem with forex trading is latency and security. We've seen many so called, 'VPS providers' that provide 'Forex ready' solution.

What is it in real ? A windows system, with MT4 pre-installed.

As mentionned above, prior to choosing a solution, you have to consider the technical aspects of your system :

1. Where is it hosted ?

Do you really know where your files actually are ? Consider buying a cheap vps and have your EA's run in some obscure server in unkown location. Would you be confident knowing your files could be accessed by other users ?

2. Security

Are you sure that running your trades in an old fashionned server such as Windows XP or Windows 2003 server is a 'real' choice for security ? In order to get it 'secure' you got to install antiviruses, antitrojans and antispywares. Do they come 'as it' in your VPS package ? I bet not.

3. Latency

If you trade with swiss forex (or European brokers), are you sastisfied with a 300 ms access time ?

4. Updates

Windows has to reboot for every single update, what about your trades ?

We've spent months developping our own MT4 specialized solution that is running in our own infrastructure (we own the servers and the network). We're based in Switzerland. We're not an imaginary company, you can call us.

Our solution is running in a fully customized linux environnement (64 bits) that is tunned to run MT4.

All you need is a web browser to access your VPS; no fancy remote desktop or complex auhtentificiation.

You can take a look and make your opinion.

Cem

forexvps.ch

EADeveloper:

Hi friends here :-$

someone with experience about MetaTrader and VPS can please give a look here

https://www.mql5.com/go?link=http://forexvps.ch/pricing

and give me some feedback?

Price is ok (for Europe)? Some pos/neg Experience about this company?

Thanx and nice evening

I am using vpsland, USD$18/month, so far satisfied with it

maximum tried with 3 Meta Traders running at same time, maybe can go more but didn't try cause not need it

from

erekit

http://100k2.blogspot.com/

DON'T presume to patronize me about security, forexvps.

In a previous role I architected the security around an Internet banking solution for a number of well known banks which was formally described at the time by a penetration testing company (who were contracted to the US CIA) as "the most secure Internet banking solution we've ever seen". That included network design, OS and system software hardening and application design to include statistical attack prevention etc.

Residual Risk (as you will know) is a function of Impact, Probability and Mitigation and in terms of the execution environment which we have implemented, I have spent the time, done the sums and produced an architecture which I am happy to take accountability for.

CB

forexvps:

I just want to make a point regarding this discussion thread.

The mere fact that you are promoting your solution as a MT4 specific hosting service is the biggest security risk of all.

gordon:
The mere fact that you are promoting your solution as a MT4 specific hosting service is the biggest security risk of all.
That comment is a little lost on me, but I'm generally very suspicious about these Linux-based MT4 hosting services. They don't seem to deserve the VPS name because they don't seem to be virtual private servers; they seem to be more like shared hosting. You pay much the same monthly fee as for a true VPS, but get much less flexibility. That might conceivably be worthwhile for a small number of people in terms of reducing the admin burden, but every VPS I've ever seen has come with a sensible and safe default firewall configuration.

Folks, latency was mentioned above. This is a priority issue for SOME, not all trading strategies. Through the years I've visited quite a few hosting sites and there is a huge spectrum of professionalism of approach. If anyone wants my recommendation (based on having studied them physically on site) for a truly professional Switzerland-based hosting company (who are not interested in whether you are running an EA or a banking app), then drop me a PM.

CB