Type of Array Needed to include Currency Pairs description ?

Hi,

Still a NewtBee and WillBee for quite some time by the looks of things.

I’m creating an array that I want to store various information about trades such as their currency pairs descriptions, MagicNumbers, perhaps some text: Comments and WHU ???

Do I have to create and define it as a ‘string’ array in order to store text such as EURUSD and other text in it, or can I do this with a ‘double’ information type?

If I do create it as a string array, will other parts of the programs still recognize numbers stored in it as numerical values or will they subsequently only be seen as text strings ?

As always, thanks to one and all for any assistance!

If u do it as a string array then any numerical part will have to be converted in order to be used as a number type (see conversion functions: https://docs.mql4.com/convert). But that would make the program much longer to code and much slower to execute. A more preferable method would be to use defines, such as:

#define SYM_EURUSD 0
#define SYM_EURCHF 1

etc...

This will allow u to use an array of doubles (unless u r absolutely sure u don't need doubles - then use an array of ints).

gordon:

If u do it as a string array then any numerical part will have to be converted in order to be used as a number type (see conversion functions: https://docs.mql4.com/convert). But that would make the program much longer to code and much slower to execute. A more preferable method would be to use defines, such as:

#define SYM_EURUSD 0
#define SYM_EURCHF 1

etc...

This will allow u to use an array of doubles (unless u r absolutely sure u don't need doubles - then use an array of ints).

Hi Gordon,

I don't want to get into a position where I can't use numerical values and I want to keep the processing overhead low and the execution speed high, so I appreciate the info. Your suggestion sounds like the way to go.

For clairification: then I am correct in that I couldn use text strings in a numerical array, or is there some feature that will allow this?

The page link you posted for me comes back as being non-existent.

But I'm finding that the search feature here is quite erratic. I was going to post a query to find out if others had similar problems and it is something on the website Data Base management or if the trouble was at my end?

Thanks for your assistance Gordon, much appreciated (< 8)

Regards,

Doug

DougRH4x:

Hi Gordon,

I don't want to get into a position where I can't use numerical values and I want to keep the processing overhead low and the execution speed high, so I appreciate the info. Your suggestion sounds like the way to go.

For clairification: then I am correct in that I couldn use text strings in a numerical array, or is there some feature that will allow this?

Correct, you can't use text string in a numerical array. Using defines is a nice little trick of putting non-numerical data in a numeric array in a way which makes the code readable.

The page link you posted for me comes back as being non-existent.

But I'm finding that the search feature here is quite erratic. I was going to post a query to find out if others had similar problems and it is something on the website Data Base management or if the trouble was at my end?

Thanks for your assistance Gordon, much appreciated (< 8)

Regards,

Doug

The link works fine on my side. Try searching for conversion functions.