Check Indicator Value on a different timeframe

I'd like to check the value of an indicator on a different timeframe to verify a trade. Let's just assume that it's ANY indicator, custom or not. How can this be done?

mixtermind wrote >>
I'd like to check the value of an indicator on a different timeframe to verify a trade. Let's just assume that it's ANY indicator, custom or not. How can this be done?

Hi Kenneth,

Here's an example. You would normally call an MA in your working timeframe something like this:

double FastMABar1=iMA(NULL,0,FastMAPeriod,FastMAShift,FastMAMethod,FastMAEnumeration,1);

Now, if you wanted to see it in a different timeframe the only thing you need to do is change the timeframe variable in the call. For instance, if you wanted to see the 15 minute MA value it would look like this:

double FastMABar1=iMA(NULL,15,FastMAPeriod,FastMAShift,FastMAMethod,FastMAEnumeration,1);

Hope this helps.

- Tovan

What would be the easiest way to check the next highest timeframe from the current one?

mixtermind wrote >>
What would be the easiest way to check the next highest timeframe from the current one?

Kenneth,

Try putting something like this in the Init() section:

switch(Period())
  {
   case     1: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 5;     break;    
   case     5: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 15;    break; 
   case    15: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 30;    break; 
   case    30: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 60;    break; 
   case    60: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 240;   break; 
   case   240: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 1440;  break; 
   case  1440: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 10080; break; 
   case 10080: FastMaHigherTimeframe = 43200; break;              
  }

FastMAHigherTimeframe will be set to the next higher timeframe. Then you can call the indicator as I suggested above using this variable for the timeframe.

- Tovan

tovan:

Kenneth,

Try putting something like this in the Init() section:

FastMAHigherTimeframe will be set to the next higher timeframe. Then you can call the indicator as I suggested above using this variable for the timeframe.

- Tovan

Thanks Tovan. You've been a great help as usual.

Tovan Adams:

Hi Kenneth,

Here's an example. You would normally call an MA in your working timeframe something like this:

Now, if you wanted to see it in a different timeframe the only thing you need to do is change the timeframe variable in the call. For instance, if you wanted to see the 15 minute MA value it would look like this:

Hope this helps.

- Tovan

iMA function returns the handles not the values, how to get the values please??

MOHAMED AMR MOHAMED OSAMA I ABDELWAHAB:

After 11 years ....!

I think you are studying only MT5

this section for MT4

so they easily get values

MOHAMED AMR MOHAMED OSAMA I ABDELWAHAB:
  1. Don't resurrect old threads without a very good reason. A lot has changed since Build 600 and Higher. 2014.02.03

2. This is the MQL4 section, (bottom of the Root page.)
              General rules and best pratices of the Forum. - General - MQL5 programming forum
    Next time post in the correct place. You are off-topic here.

3. Perhaps you should read the manual, especially the examples. They all (including iCustom) return a handle (an int.) You get that in OnInit. In OnTick (after the indicator has updated its buffers,) you use the handle, shift and count to get the data.
              Technical Indicators - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
              Timeseries and Indicators Access / CopyBuffer - Reference on algorithmic/automated trading language for MetaTrader 5
              How to start with MQL5 - General - MQL5 programming forum - Page 3 #22 2020.03.08
              How to call indicators in MQL5 - MQL5 Articles 12 March 2010

Also see my example for encapsulating calls
              Detailed explanation of iCustom - MQL4 programming forum 2017.05.23