To have the ability to import your own data in MT5 is it important for you ? - page 4

graziani:

First screen is MT5 demo, second is MT4 live, same broker. I didn't manage to force the MT5 to fill up the hole.
Generally, this is not happening only on MQ demo (at least i havent noticed it), but my trading systems are optimized for my broker, and not MQ.
And i have seen such holes on other brokers as well.

Same thing, also seen on other brokers, more holes, other colors (yellow):

For point a. Seems to me it's a broker related problem no ? Do you asked to your broker ?

angevoyageur:
For point a. Seems to me it's a broker related problem no ? Do you asked to your broker ?

generally, of course it is the brokers problem, because there are obviously missing two days in they database.

but this was last week!

and i know exactly how this happened: i didn't connect till Wednesday morning, and when i connected,

i got the new prices, but it didn't want to fill up the gap between the true gap (friday/monday), and  monday-wednesday.

so... is it surely brokers problem?

anyway, the brokers dont care about the MT5 demo, although they are offering MT5 live.

when i have questions regarding some actual problem, i get answers immediately, but for MT5 demo, none.

So, for the purpose of testing, i should open live MT5 somewhere. 

Debate on the use of the Strategy tester, although interesting in itself, should not obscure the main issue. Namely, why Metaquotes not leave the choice to the user ?

By not providing History Center, keeping secret the format hcc, MQ has decided to block all use of data other than the broker. From what one told me, it may be a choice made for convenience, to avoid having to handle any problems that may result from the use of "own" data by persons not sure how to use it. I did however find any official communication MQ about it, if it exists I would be very happy to know.
I want to know, officially, the position of Metaquotes :

• Why did you choose to block all opportunities to use their own data?
  • Is there a chance in the future to access format hcc?
  • Is there a chance in the future to have a History Center?
  • Is there a chance in the future to have any way to use their own data?

If you see other questions for MQ on the subject, do not hesitate to post them. If there is interest in the community for these questions, and above all the answers then I suggest this topic to live until we get answers.

Dear MetaOuotes,

Please consider adding the following to future updates of mt5/mql5.

- User ability to import self-modified data in tick-chart format.

- User ability to modify spreads upon that data to any int value.

- User ability to modify any market-info | symbol specification.

It gives people the ability to perform better what-if analysis when developing systems.

In mt4, people had to result to 3rd party hacks for the above.

People will keep nagging you for these things, mt4 was a good example.

Ubzen:

Dear MetaOuotes,

Please consider adding the following to future updates of mt5/mql5.

- User ability to import self-modified data in tick-chart format.

- User ability to modify spreads upon that data to any int value.

- User ability to modify any market-info | symbol specification.

It gives people the ability to perform better what-if analysis when developing systems.

In mt4, people had to result to 3rd party hacks for the above.

People will keep nagging you for these things, mt4 was a good example.

With MT5 spread is full part of data, so if we can import data, we can modify spread also.

angevoyageur: With MT5 spread is full part of data, so if we can import data, we can modify spread also.

I don't think of importing and modifying as the same. Just wanted to be clear about my wish-list. Don't want a situation where I could download mt5 data from different brokers to my desk-top and import it into mt5 without being able to modify the data. Don't want a situation where I could modify the spreads but cannot make them 0 or Negative.

On a side-note, I'm just wondering how much work would be involved in programmers creating their own virtual strategy-tester using mql5? Where you provide your own data-file and market-info. What do you guys think feasible or not?

All depends on type of EA you plan on using.  I feel EA's based only on ohlc of bars should be reliable enough with this tester.  I love the new metatrader compared to the old.  The old one sucks.  Why do so many people say mt4 is better anyway? 

superk11:
All depends on type of EA you plan on using.  I feel EA's based only on ohlc of bars should be reliable enough with this tester.  I love the new metatrader compared to the old.  The old one sucks.  Why do so many people say mt4 is better anyway? 
For some needs it is better.  For portfolio type strategies MT4 isn't an option,  for testing with the same history data across many Brokers MT5 is no use.  MT4 visual mode is better than MT5,  all MT4 Objects work in the MT4 ST,  not all MT5 Objects work in the MT5 ST.  MT5 ST can correctly test Indicators,  MT4 isn't guaranteed to be able to test all Indicators.

Ubzen:

I don't think of importing and modifying as the same. Just wanted to be clear about my wish-list. Don't want a situation where I could download mt5 data from different brokers to my desk-top and import it into mt5 without being able to modify the data. Don't want a situation where I could modify the spreads but cannot make them 0 or Negative.

On a side-note, I'm just wondering how much work would be involved in programmers creating their own virtual strategy-tester using mql5? Where you provide your own data-file and market-info. What do you guys think feasible or not?

About virtual strategy-tester : All is feasible, but that would be a big project. May be very interesting to work on it with several programmers.

Why not open a topic about this ? If some good developers are interested, we can start such a project.

when this option occur, I start to use MT5, before that never