Championship 2008 - Question on Rule 6

I have submitted an EA which need to queries all 12 pairs before making calculation and opening trades. However, the backtesting module of MQL4 does not allow querying prices other than the one it is attached, so it will not execute any trade in backtesting. The question is how can the EA ever be accepted since there rule 6 says that:

"Experts can contain limitations to be used outside the Championship, but they must make at least 5 conscious trades within the first 8 backtesting months (2008.01.01-2008.08.01) and within 3 months of the contest"

Please clarify. Thanks.

kuekpeow wrote >>

I have submitted an EA which need to queries all 12 pairs before making calculation and opening trades. However, the backtesting module of MQL4 does not allow querying prices other than the one it is attached, so it will not execute any trade in backtesting. The question is how can the EA ever be accepted since there rule 6 says that:

"Experts can contain limitations to be used outside the Championship, but they must make at least 5 conscious trades within the first 8 backtesting months (2008.01.01-2008.08.01) and within 3 months of the contest"

Please clarify. Thanks.

Hi kuekpeow,

I have the same problem with my EA, I left 2 messages in my private section where the backtesting is reported with errors, but no answer.

The errors (4106) are symbol unknown for the reason you explained.

In "live" mode I have no problem.

Hopefully this can be clarified.

The strategies trading multiple instruments are not subject to that rule and some other rules. But I guess they will be disqualified quickly with the very first signs of inadequate behavior (i.e. producing excessive CPU load, flooding logs with error messages, etc.)

Will the manual checking eliminate my EA based this zero divide error in backtesting? My explanation for the error is given below... Will they accept my request to either forward test or eliminate only if the zero divide error occur during the competition (because backtesting will never work correctly for multiple-pairs EA in MQL4)?

MetaQuotes:
Dear Lai Kuek Peow,
Errors found in your Expert Advisors during checking:
2008.09.20 18:23 loading
lkp ea v2.13.5 on EURUSD:30
18:23:14 2008.01.02 09:01 lkp ea v2.13.5 EURUSD,M30: zero divide
0 kb of log files
there are no trading operations
0 min 53 seconds
Errors: 2

My reply to the comment:

This EA will only open trade based on its calculation on the 12 allowed pairs.

Previous 11 bars on 30min chart of all the 12 pairs must be present in the terminal history.

A 40 sec lag is implemented to ensure that history prices are present and updated. In addition, RefreshRates() is used in a 20 sec loop if the retrieved price is less than or equal to zero.

I believe in the automated test, some of the other 11 pairs (EA only attached to 1 of the 12 pairs) have retrieved prices equal to zero, so when my EA divide something by the prices, zero divide error occurs. Please forward test it instead.