Optimization of Expert Advisors

Results are not always shown and the Journal message is that the pass was not significant.

Please, please show me all the passes, good or bad, significant or not, because it helps me to learn. 

BORISTABBY:

Results are not always shown and the Journal message is that the pass was not significant.

Please, please show me all the passes, good or bad, significant or not, because it helps me to learn. 

Read this.

angevoyageur:
Read this.

Thanks for the link.  I should have been more specific with my observations i.e., my specific concerns.

1. My EA is in MT4 hence the strategy tester's optimizer is also? Build version 4, 451.

2. The only way to get the 90% reliable result in testing is to use Ticks and ONLY M1 price history.  Yes?

3. My Broker has M1 price history only back about 7 months, so any date range before that is useless. 

4.  I have never had a valid strategy test/optimization using any price history other than M1.  Detailed checking proves this.

5. My EA runs on a D1 chart, detects reversals, and take profits on a trailing stop. GBP/USD ONLY. 

6. Optimization considerations are with parameters such as stop loss, take profit, and settings for my two

Custom Indicators which trigger the trades. Custom Indicator settings are critical to triggering trades and

I would  like to see the results from optimizing settings even if they result in losses.

7. In no way is this critical of MetaTrader ..... wonderful, wonderful opportunity and many thanks. (:-)

BORISTABBY:

Thanks for the link.  I should have been more specific with my observations i.e., my specific concerns.

1. My EA is in MT4 hence the strategy tester's optimizer is also? Build version 4, 451.

2. The only way to get the 90% reliable result in testing is to use Ticks and ONLY M1 price history.  Yes?

3. My Broker has M1 price history only back about 7 months, so any date range before that is useless. 

4.  I have never had a valid strategy test/optimization using any price history other than M1.  Detailed checking proves this.

5. My EA runs on a D1 chart, detects reversals, and take profits on a trailing stop. GBP/USD ONLY. 

6. Optimization considerations are with parameters such as stop loss, take profit, and settings for my two

Custom Indicators which trigger the trades. Custom Indicator settings are critical to triggering trades and

I would  like to see the results from optimizing settings even if they result in losses.

7. In no way is this critical of MetaTrader ..... wonderful, wonderful opportunity and many thanks. (:-)

Please ask your question regarding MT4 in MQL4 forum
MQL4: automated trading forum
  • www.mql5.com
MQL4: automated trading forum

BORISTABBY:

Uncheck "Skip useless results" in optimization tab results. (only available in MT4 I think).

angevoyageur:

Uncheck "Skip useless results" in optimization tab results. (only available in MT4 I think).

Moderator 294 "angevoyageur".  Dang.  How many years have I been using the MT4 platform?   5?  And I did not know that I could right click on the results window and turn off that parameter?

You, Agent 294, are obviously a PRINCE forced to live among us peasants. (:-)  Many thanks.

BORISTABBY:

Moderator 294 "angevoyageur".  Dang.  How many years have I been using the MT4 platform?   5?  And I did not know that I could right click on the results window and turn off that parameter?

You, Agent 294, are obviously a PRINCE forced to live among us peasants. (:-)  Many thanks.

You are welcome. It can happen to everybody.