Questions

MT5 build 1241, too many bugs to count!

1. "Program has encountered a problem and will be closed" window appears just when I start MT5. I can use it, however.

2. Dragging ofthe TP or SL lines sometimes drops them back without releasing the mouse button.

3. Dragging a TP or SL line from the entry level shows them correctly, but when you release the mouse button, sometimes nothing happens.

4. The Market Watch window is nice, but when I dragged it outside to a different display, it was resized to a very small window and now can't be resized at all, always shrinks to a small one, even after program restart ;-(

5. Ability to set scale in the Market Watch tick chart is missing, preferably in pixels/point, also the time scale can only be set by changing the size of the window :(

6. "Grid" is useless, unsettable, how do I make it used fixed steps? Say, 100-point or something like that. Or log grid, with zero dB at a user selected point. I'd LOVE to use a grid, but the one you offer says completely nothing.

7. In chart display, Y scale can't be set in pixels/point, this is important for forex guys/gals, where the Y scale can be absolute instead of ever changing. (1:20, 1:10, 1:5, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ratios, preferably, or let the user define the ratios in magnifying or 'smallifying" as 1:x or x:1 ratios)

8. "Period Separators" can't be changed (user may want several types, periods in-between hours, 4-hours, 15-minutes, each different color, that way it can be seen if an event is close to several ends of beginnings of different time frames.

9. Default colors are horrible and I can't use my own set by default, why? When I select "New Chart", I'd like to have my own set of settings applied to it, not the default one. This means also that user needs some way to define the default settings and a way to save/load color/etc schemes for chart arrangement.

10. Default setting of properties is wrong: when I invoke the properties of, say, StdDev channel, I get the tab "Common" selected, which is wrong, the tab displayed should be "Parameters", where the most used parameters are. [if there was a quick selection of several predefined values for the deviation, that would be nice] [Didn't MT4 remember which tab you had selected last?]

11. Order window does not remember my past used SL and TP levels in points, why?

12. Sound level of the effects can't be set :( ...there is no "play" button next to the list of the wav files, how do I know which one is which?

13. "Y-axis Autorange" button on the main screen is wanted. There is no way to quickly autorange the Y axis, only by dragging the range bar.

14. The values on the Y-axis follow no rule! The divisions should be created only in a defined manner, say by 10, 20, 50, 100 points, possibly changed by the user and the tick lines could be colored differently as well (main divisions by 100 points white, subdivisions (50) by light gray, division by 10 by dark gray. This way was used on checkered paper. (in green instead of white on black)

...there is more to say

Have you reported bugs to service desk?

Stuart Browne:
Have you reported bugs to service desk?

And how do I get to the Service desk? These forums are mightily confusing for me, I really apologize... :\

And I found it:(, it is way more complicated than expected. I will contact them as soon as I have one hour of free time again ;-(

analyst_jane:

MT5 build 1241, too many bugs to count!

1. "Program has encountered a problem and will be closed" window appears just when I start MT5. I can use it, however.

2. Dragging ofthe TP or SL lines sometimes drops them back without releasing the mouse button.

3. Dragging a TP or SL line from the entry level shows them correctly, but when you release the mouse button, sometimes nothing happens.

4. The Market Watch window is nice, but when I dragged it outside to a different display, it was resized to a very small window and now can't be resized at all, always shrinks to a small one, even after program restart ;-(

5. Ability to set scale in the Market Watch tick chart is missing, preferably in pixels/point, also the time scale can only be set by changing the size of the window :(

6. "Grid" is useless, unsettable, how do I make it used fixed steps? Say, 100-point or something like that. Or log grid, with zero dB at a user selected point. I'd LOVE to use a grid, but the one you offer says completely nothing.

7. In chart display, Y scale can't be set in pixels/point, this is important for forex guys/gals, where the Y scale can be absolute instead of ever changing. (1:20, 1:10, 1:5, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ratios, preferably, or let the user define the ratios in magnifying or 'smallifying" as 1:x or x:1 ratios)

8. "Period Separators" can't be changed (user may want several types, periods in-between hours, 4-hours, 15-minutes, each different color, that way it can be seen if an event is close to several ends of beginnings of different time frames.

9. Default colors are horrible and I can't use my own set by default, why? When I select "New Chart", I'd like to have my own set of settings applied to it, not the default one. This means also that user needs some way to define the default settings and a way to save/load color/etc schemes for chart arrangement.

10. Default setting of properties is wrong: when I invoke the properties of, say, StdDev channel, I get the tab "Common" selected, which is wrong, the tab displayed should be "Parameters", where the most used parameters are. [if there was a quick selection of several predefined values for the deviation, that would be nice] [Didn't MT4 remember which tab you had selected last?]

11. Order window does not remember my past used SL and TP levels in points, why?

12. Sound level of the effects can't be set :( ...there is no "play" button next to the list of the wav files, how do I know which one is which?

13. "Y-axis Autorange" button on the main screen is wanted. There is no way to quickly autorange the Y axis, only by dragging the range bar.

14. The values on the Y-axis follow no rule! The divisions should be created only in a defined manner, say by 10, 20, 50, 100 points, possibly changed by the user and the tick lines could be colored differently as well (main divisions by 100 points white, subdivisions (50) by light gray, division by 10 by dark gray. This way was used on checkered paper. (in green instead of white on black)

...there is more to say

Hello, first of all I have to say that most of your points are not bugs but features you would like to see in MT5, so please don't call them bugs.

I work with MT5 for about 2 years on a daily basis and can tell assure you that it has been greatly improved and many new features have been included since then. Although the language design isn't perfect and you have to use some 'advanced' workarounds to achieve what should usually be done easily the possibilities for a programmer are really large and most of the stuff that the terminal handles seems to be done quite efficiently.

But now about your list:

1. I have never encountered this problem with any MT5 version or any broker. But this could be a bug.

2. Also never seen this.

3. Look in the 'Journal' tab for more info. It can have several reasons and doesn't have to be a bug.

4. Probably there are not many people who want to have the market watch window outside of the terminal, but it should be easy to add this 'feature'.

5. Again a feature which they might add at some time. I personally don't think it's important though...

6. Grid is useless? Although I don't really know what you mean, I guess you should check out the chart properties (F8).

7. Again F8, but I don't think what you want to do is useful for trading.

8. Again I don't really understand what you want to do but I'm sure it can be done with MQL5 quite easily.

9. I absolutely agree that the default colors are horrible. But yes you can set your own colors and also save it. It's called 'templates' (just save as default.tpl)

10. To me it just makes much more sense that the 'common' tab is selected as default. It's definitely not "wrong" as u call it.

11. It does remember it when you modify an order/position. Why should it put your last SL and TP level in for a new order which has nothing to do with your last one? But again such things can be easily done with MQL5.

12. I think there are enough possibilties (software/hardware) to change the sound volume :) The wav-files can be found under C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 5\Sounds.

13. If you want such a button you have to program it yourself or find someone who codes this for you. Again very easy...

14. It makes much more sense the way it is. But can't you do that in the chart properties (using scale fix)?

Once again, only the first one could be a bug, but it can also be a problem at your end, since I have never seen it.

Hello dears MetaQutes,

all these periodic updates is good, but When we will see, MetaQuets, develop MQL to add property to the symbol for get commission value? to focus on this valuable and needed property !

there is  property for contract size,spread, . . . , but why no commission ?

we hope to see in in nearest update

Thank you  . .  

Comment(__MQLBUILD__)

Gives 553 for MT4 build 940.  < wrong 

Comment(__MQLBUILD__)

Gives 1241 for MT5 build 1241.  < correct

Comment(TERMINAL_BUILD)

Gives 5 for MT4 build 940.  < wrong

Comment(TERMINAL_BUILD)

Gives 5 for MT5 build 1241.  < correct

Can you please fix or explain?

Roel:

Gives 553 for MT4 build 940.  < wrong 

Gives 1241 for MT5 build 1241.  < correct

__MQLBUILD__ give you the compiler version (MetaEditor), not the terminal version, 1241 is correct and I don't know what is 553. But you are right, there is something not logical here. You should report it to ServiceDesk.

Gives 5 for MT4 build 940.  < wrong

Gives 5 for MT5 build 1241.  < correct

Can you please fix or explain?

TERMINAL_BUILD can't be used like that, you are printing the value of the constant. You have to use TerminalInfoInteger()

hi does anyone know how to open ex files on mt4? i have downloaded a free bot and want to give it a try but cannot seem to open it?

cmechen01034:
hi does anyone know how to open ex files on mt4? i have downloaded a free bot and want to give it a try but cannot seem to open it?
You can't "open" an ex4 file (well you can, but it's encrypted so will make no sense). If you mean you want to add it to the chart, just find it in your MT4 navigator window, click on it and drag it on to the chart
Reason: