MT4 keeps closing of its own accord!

I have about four MT4s opened on a dedicated PC with Win 10 OS (no any other programs opened/running on the PC). For some inexplicable reason, the MT4s keep closing after a while without my intervention (I also do not have any EA that is coded to close the MT4 running on the MT4s), and I have to keep on restarting them, which completely defeats the purpose and of course affects the EAs! Any ideas/solutions please?

It may be because of too many MT4 instances installed and running (I had this issue with dedicated server running more than 20 instances .... seems, there are some limit for that).

Forum on trading, automated trading systems and testing trading strategies

Bug report: Error when running multiple MT5 terminals

Sergey Golubev, 2022.08.19 12:38

I had this situation many years ago with MT4 (I had 20 instances of MT4 but if I add 21th Metatrader so everything stops working; I had dedicated server in that time).
And I understood in that time that there are limitation also about how many copies of Metatrader you can have in your computer opened.
I tried to discover about where this limitation is coming from and I came to something related to intenet connection or frequencies in BIOS (and it does not depend on how good is your computer with memory etc for example).

It was many years ago, but I am not installing many Metatrader instances on the computer anymore (because I have no idea about how good motherboard of my computer concerning interrupt frequency for example).

Hi, thanks for your reply. This is not a server. It is a stand alone PC, with 16gb RAM, and I am running just 4 instances of MT4 presently, with a couple having just one indicator, and the other two no indicators. One MT4 has only 7 pairs open, each with an EA, but no indicators. One has two pairs open, with EAs and no indicators. The other two each has one pair open., with one EA and one indicator each. So, I am talking of a really light set-up here!

That sounds really annoying and the solution I can propose is not very nice either.
In your shoes, I would completely turn off two of those instances for a few days or at least a few hours.
If it still crashes, turn off one of the remaining two so you only have one OR if it doesn't crash, turn off those two and reactivate the other two.
The idea is to selectively turn off instances and just leave one or two running until you find the one that is causing the problem.
When (if?) you find that, then you apply the same method to all the EAs running on that instance. You turn off half then half then half until you find the one culprit and investigate it.

Then again, I had a hard reset recently and MT would inevitably freeze after running for a few minutes. Over and over. I had to format the disk and reinstall the entire OS.
(In fact, I restored an entire previously installed and configured image which is a lot faster, but that is just another - more convenient - way of doing the same thing.)

KayMetaT: I have about four MT4s opened on a dedicated PC with Win 10 OS (no any other programs opened/running on the PC). For some inexplicable reason, the MT4s keep closing
Did you install them in separate folders? Check the target path you use to start them.
Reason: