Advice on Optimal Hardware for EA Backtesting with MQL5

Hello everyone,

I am looking to improve my hardware configurations to optimize Expert Advisors backtesting on MetaTrader 5. Currently, I am considering the purchase of a new dedicated PC and would love to get some advice on the hardware configuration that best fits this need.

Here are some specifications I am considering:

Number of cores: I would like to understand if it is more advantageous to opt for a processor with more physical cores (e.g., 16 cores) versus one with fewer physical cores but hyper-threading support (e.g., 8 physical and 8 virtual cores).

RAM: How much RAM is really needed for effective backtesting? I am thinking of a minimum of 16GB, but am open to suggestions based on your experience.

Also, I would like to know if any of you have experience with specific configurations or advice on processor models (AMD vs Intel) that have proven to be effective for this type of operation.

Any advice on how to balance performance on a moderate budget would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to start a productive discussion and learn from your valuable advice.

My current configuration is this:

MacBook Pro
- Intel i5-8279U 2.4GHz (up to 4.1GHz)
- 8GB of LPDDR3 memory
- 512GB SSD drive

- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

Very nice unit, congrats!

With all due respect to both MetaQuotes and Apple - Metatrader on Mac is a hassle at the moment.

Get Windows and focus on your strategy not logistics.

Windows on Parallels Desktop on Mac will do.

It would be very helpful if we knew what price range you are targeting with your new pc. Also if you are willing to make the pc from individual parts you can get more for your money. There are some great tutorial on how and I or others could help you choose the components. With any budget you would focus on the thread count of the cpu, and the speed and size of the ram, but the thread count its much more significant. 16gb is probably fine but you might not be able to use other applications or go on the web at the same time. 32gb works good for me.
Reason: