Someone please add a ".name" and a ".datetime" to MqlParam

It's got type and values, why not let us say that the internal name of the variable is? It would really help in check if we got things out of order, and besides, it's just polite, don't you think? 

But the real rub here is: What do you do about an indicator you're trying to set up that wants a datetime type value? 

I guess MqlParam and IndicatorCreate are kinda screwed, in that case.

This request isn't just reasonable, it's surprising that it needs to be requested.

"But where would it stop, then? Every single data type stuffed into MqlParam?"

Well, it's already stopped short, right? I wouldn't mind a long and a ushort in there, and maybe a couple of other ones. But at least add a .name and a .datetime for heaven's sake!

Millard Melnyk:
What do you do about an indicator you're trying to set up that wants a datetime type value? 

I have never used MqlParam. I just simply opened the documentation and saw this:

https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/constants/indicatorconstants/enum_datatype

Data Type Identifiers

Identifier

Data type

TYPE_BOOL

bool

TYPE_CHAR

char

TYPE_UCHAR

uchar

TYPE_SHORT

short

TYPE_USHORT

ushort

TYPE_COLOR

color

TYPE_INT

int

TYPE_UINT

uint

TYPE_DATETIME

datetime

TYPE_LONG

long

TYPE_ULONG

ulong

TYPE_FLOAT

float

TYPE_DOUBLE

double

TYPE_STRING

string

Have you tried using TYPE_DATETIME?

Millard Melnyk:
add a .name

What for? What's the usage scenario for .name? How is this supposed to work?

Vladislav Boyko #:

I have never used MqlParam. I just simply opened the documentation and saw this:

Have you tried using TYPE_DATETIME?

Look at the documentation below. Where would I put a datetime? In the long, or the double, or the string?

I suppose I could smuggle it in through the string and use StringToTime to convert it back, but then I'd have to break open the indicator I'm putting a call to.

Please read more carefully:

The Structure of Input Parameters of Indicators (MqlParam)

The MqlParam structure has been specially designed to provide input parameters when creating the handle of a technical indicator using the IndicatorCreate() function.

struct MqlParam 
  { 
   ENUM_DATATYPE     type;                    // type of the input parameter, value of ENUM_DATATYPE 
   long              integer_value;           // field to store an integer type 
   double            double_value;            // field to store a double type 
   string            string_value;            // field to store a string type 
  };

All input parameters of an indicator are transmitted in the form of an array of the MqlParam type, the type field of each element of this array specifies the type of data transmitted by the element. The indicator values must be first placed in the appropriate fields for each element (in integer_value, in double_value or string_value) depending on what value of ENUM_DATATYPE enumeration is specified in the type field.

If the IND_CUSTOM value is passed third as the indicator type to the IndicatorCreate() function, the first element of the array of input parameters must have the type field with the value of TYPE_STRING from the ENUM_DATATYPE enumeration, and the string_value field must contain the name of the custom indicator.

You see a place for a datetime there? You're limited to 3, just like it says:

"The indicator values must be first placed in the appropriate fields for each element (in integer_value, in double_value or string_value) depending on what value of ENUM_DATATYPE enumeration is specified in the type field."

They even had to kluge their own structure, putting the "name" of the indicator (which, given subfolders, could actually be a partial path/filename) in the string_value field of the first item. Why not just give us a .name? 

You basically just proved my point -- plenty to be desired here.

Oh yeah! And what about indicators that use ENUMs in their input parameters? How do you get around that one?

Yeah, IndicatorCreate just died for me. Too restrictive. I'll have to stick with iCustom, my old friend...

Millard Melnyk #:

Look at the documentation below. Where would I put a datetime? In the long, or the double, or the string?

I suppose I could smuggle it in through the string and use StringToTime to convert it back, but then I'd have to break open the indicator I'm putting a call to.

Please read more carefully:

You see a place for a datetime there? You're limited to 3, just like it says:

"The indicator values must be first placed in the appropriate fields for each element (in integer_value, in double_value or string_value) depending on what value of ENUM_DATATYPE enumeration is specified in the type field."

They even had to kluge their own structure, putting the "name" of the indicator (which, given subfolders, could actually be a partial path/filename) in the string_value field of the first item. Why not just give us a .name? 

You basically just proved my point -- plenty to be desired here.

All data types (including enums) can be represented by long, double or string. Haven't you noticed that when getting properties using GetIntger, GetDouble and GetString functions? if you are working with integer values (any data type except float, double and string) use long, if float or double use the double, if string use string.

Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Data Types
Documentation on MQL5: Language Basics / Data Types
  • www.mql5.com
Any program operates with data. Data can be of different types depending on their purposes. For example, integer data are used to access to array...

Millard Melnyk #:
Oh yeah! And what about indicators that use ENUMs in their input parameters? How do you get around that one?

I quote an example from the help (below). What I've highlighted is an example of passing an enum

https://www.mql5.com/en/docs/series/indicatorcreate

void OnStart()
  {
   MqlParam params[];
   int      h_MA,h_MACD;
//--- create iMA("EURUSD",PERIOD_M15,8,0,MODE_EMA,PRICE_CLOSE);
   ArrayResize(params,4);
//--- set ma_period
   params[0].type         =TYPE_INT;
   params[0].integer_value=8;
//--- set ma_shift
   params[1].type         =TYPE_INT;
   params[1].integer_value=0;
//--- set ma_method
   params[2].type         =TYPE_INT;
   params[2].integer_value=MODE_EMA;
//--- set applied_price
   params[3].type         =TYPE_INT;
   params[3].integer_value=PRICE_CLOSE;

Samuel Manoel De Souza #:

All data types (including enums) can be represented by long, double or string. Haven't you noticed that when getting properties using GetIntger, GetDouble and GetString functions? if you are working with integer values (any data type except float, double and string) use long, if float or double use the double, if string use string.

Good thought! Hadn't thought about it like that. But then again, a kluge. So, when I'm asking for the user of an indicator to give me a datetime (with that nice little calendar widget) as they add it to their chart, what's going to happen if a coder iCustom's it and throws a type int at the type datetime? Wouldn't you get a runtime error? I'll have to try and see what happens. I like creative thinking, thanks!

Vladislav Boyko #:

I quote an example from the help (below). What I've highlighted is an example of passing an enum

Sure enough, thanks man. I'm going to try that out along with stuffing (int)type_datetime-value into a declared type_datetime and see what happens.

Millard Melnyk #:
what's going to happen if a coder iCustom's it and throws a type int at the type datetime

long, not int. Because the size of datetime is 8 bytes, and the size of int is 4 bytes. That is, not every datetime value will "fit" into the int type.

void OnStart()
  {
   datetime dt = TimeCurrent();
   long _long = dt;
   PrintFormat("datetime = %s, long = %s", TimeToString(dt), TimeToString(_long));
  }
2024.04.15 15:00:58.697 scriptTest (EURUSD,H1)  datetime = 2024.04.16 01:00, long = 2024.04.16 01:00
Reason: