New to MQL5. Why does Andrew Young create his own library for classes and functions?

in his book that teaches MQL5, he taught readers using his own library, where he has his own trade class functions. 

Isn’t better to just use the standard library?

does he only mean to teach us the logic behind the class functions? or does he really want us to use his library/make up own? 

i feel like this is so counterproductive. 

do you guys use the standard library or andrew young’s library?

stendhal1437: Isn’t better to just use the standard library? does he only mean to teach us the logic behind the class functions? or does he really want us to use his library/make up own?  i feel like this is so counterproductive. 

I don't agree. Showing how he writes his own library, helps the user develop that skill. It helps the user know and understand the underlying functions in MQL that are used to develop the libraries.

stendhal1437: do you guys use the standard library or andrew young’s library?
I write my own classes when needed but mostly a code using the MQL functions directly.

Fernando Carreiro #:

I don't agree. Showing how he writes his own library, helps the user develop that skill. It helps the user know and understand the underlying functions in MQL that are used to develop the libraries.

I write my own classes when needed but mostly a code using the MQL functions directly.

sorry i didn't mean any disrespect. i didn't mean to say counterproductive in the way that it's useless that's why i asked whether he means to show us the logic behind it or that he just wants us to use his library. if it's the former, then the same can be achieved by showing us how the standard library is written. i guess i just don't like not knowing the direction he's going.  i don't mind learning but i would feel a lot better if he could be clearer in the beginning (or maybe he would, i still haven't finished the book).  it also feels redundant because i will still need to learn the standard library. however it's all fine anyway because i like the book's structure and it realy helps to demistify the process. but honestly, if he means for us to not use the standad library, wouldn't that be like...not the best thing? like why would anyone go through that? idk

anyway thank you very much for the reply.

stendhal1437 #: sorry i didn't mean any disrespect. i didn't mean to say counterproductive in the way that it's useless that's why i asked whether he means to show us the logic behind it or that he just wants us to use his library. if it's the former, then the same can be achieved by showing us how the standard library is written. i guess i just don't like not knowing the direction he's going.  i don't mind learning but i would feel a lot better if he could be clearer in the beginning (or maybe he would, i still haven't finished the book).  it also feels redundant because i will still need to learn the standard library. however it's all fine anyway because i like the book's structure and it realy helps to demistify the process. but honestly, if he means for us to not use the standad library, wouldn't that be like...not the best thing? like why would anyone go through that? idk

anyway thank you very much for the reply.

Many users, like myself, don't use and don't like using the Standard Library, mainly because we find it awkward and slightly "buggy" in a sense.

Also, not everyone is a fan of heavy Object-oriented programming (OOP) usage. Many, like myself, use OOP sparingly.

oh i just read about that as well and it sounds scary. is the standard library really that bad? no wonder andrew young created his own library

stendhal1437 #: oh i just read about that as well and it sounds scary. is the standard library really that bad? no wonder andrew young created his own library

At the time that the book was written, it was quite bad, in my opinion.

It has improved substantially over time however, but personally, I prefer not to use it.

I would rather rely on my own libraries.

are you talking about the standard library, or andrew young's library? so they are both bad? 

stendhal1437 #: are you talking about the standard library, or andrew young's library? so they are both bad? 

The Standard Library obviously.

I would not consider the library in the book bad at all. It is, however, somewhat outdated now, since a book cannot undergo continuos "updates" to reflect newer developments of the platform.

i see. so i guess i will have to make up my own library too then 

stendhal1437 #: i see. so i guess i will have to make up my own library too then 

Yes, but only after you have finished the book and have researched the changes and updates the platform has undergone to date.

Alternatively, stick to non-OOP approach in the beginning. For most of the tasks, especially indicator development, there is no need to overcomplicate things with OOP.

Almost all of my EAs use no OOP at all and the more complex ones use minimal and simplistic OOP.

We are not talking about "grand" applications with complex UI/UX. EAs should be simple and efficient, focusing on the trading, with minimum or no visual distractions for the user.

stendhal1437 #:
i see. so i guess i will have to make up my own library too then 
There are alternatives available. Do a search on GitHub for MQL and see if one fits your needs.
Reason: