Is it really impossible to avoid beta builds?

I've been trying to manage my mt5 terminals to avoid beta builds, following some instructions from this forum topic (more or less). I uninstalled all terminals first (including personal data, common data folders and even another broker's mt4 terminal) and then reinstalled MT5 from 2 brokers and metaquotes itself (separately, installed and then uninstalled). All 3 times version 3930 was installed, which is the latest beta release (instead of 3800, or 3802 I don't know).

Is there any way around this? Am I missing any step? I would guess that downloading the installer from metaquotes is not an option, since when I opened it it already had a demo account open, but is it possible to setup this to work with that default installer (using other broker accounts there)?

Edit: until now I was doing the UAC thing to avoid push updates, but that makes me also avoid stable releases, so that I need to get the builds from untrusted places or stay with an older version. And it's a PITA to get an alert every time I open a terminal...

How do I prevent auto updates? Or create fallback-points - I'm trying to stop auto-updates from being installed in MT5
How do I prevent auto updates? Or create fallback-points - I'm trying to stop auto-updates from being installed in MT5
  • www.mql5.com
This one is only used from time to time, so mt5 is closed and reopened and for that updates automatically. If i could prevent my power-pc to auto-update, i could try the new version in a separate install and only update once everything works

I was told, if there are no metaquotes demo account in the terminal, it will not auto update.
But I never tried this.
Good luck

Soewono Effendi #:
I was told, if there are no metaquotes demo account in the terminal, it will not auto update.
But I never tried this.
Good luck

I tried it, and it works. MT5 wont update itself if you are not logged in to MQ5 account. I am not sure about MT4

The main issue then is that it always installs last beta from the get go (so I don't know if it would really auto update, it's last version). Maybe I should try replacing the build with last stable version and see if it auto-updates...

I have one MT5 instance on my laptop, and I did not connect this MT5 to MetaQuotes-Demo server.
And this MT5 is on build 3878 (just because the broker considered/decided for this build to be more stable for the clients or for any other reason).

I have the other MT5 instance, and I connected this instance to MetaQuotes-Demo server, and MT5 was updated to the build 3930
(just because I want to test this build).

As a conclusion:

• if we want to update our MT5 to the latest stable or/and beta build (to the latest build) so we should connect MT5 to MetaQuotes-Demo server;
  • if we want for our MT5 to be updated according to the broker(s) decisions so we should not connect our MT5 to MetaQuotes-Demo server.

Sergey Golubev #:
  • if we want to update our MT5 to the latest stable or/and beta build (to the latest build) so we should connect MT5 to MetaQuotes-Demo server;
  • if we want for our MT5 to be updated according to the broker(s) decisions so we should not connect our MT5 to MetaQuotes-Demo server.

So I need to find a broker that just happens to decide to only use stable versions... (I guess those 2 I tried go with beta versions too).

Is there any list of brokers that do that (or we just can't know what they'll do)? I don't know if it's allowed to publish specific broker names in the forum though

Can the second option be done from the default metatrader install (the one downloaded from metaquotes) after removing the demo account connection, or do I need to try each broker's custom installer?

I think I got somewhere, this is what I did step by step in case anyone finds about it:

1-installed mt5 with the default installer (it was in latest beta version, which in broker installers that also happened)

2-removed mt5 demo account that appears by default and loged in another broker's demo account

3-closed the terminal, replaced program files with latest stable from the archive (that actually provided @Sergey Golubev in other forum)

4-opened the terminal, mt5 demo appeared again so I had to delete it again (which makes step 2 possibly useless) and login again to other broker

5-the terminal downloaded beta build updates, I rejected and closed the terminal

6-went to terminal folder (D0E8209F77C8C...) and deleted the folder liveupdate

7-when opening again, the broker account was still there, not any mt5-demo, and it didn't download any more updates

In the future I'll see if it does download stable releases and while not downloading beta ones (or if the broker does apply some other version) and update this comment if anything unexpected happens (probably I could check this by replacing program files with an older stable version... but I don't feel like trying that now heh)

Thanks for help!

new update of MT?!
new update of MT?!
  • www.mql5.com
I restart MT5 with today update (1.9.2021) .... and now MT5 can't be started! When I click on icon..... nothing hapening! :( Thaks for help! J...

Manuel Alejandro Cercos Perez #:

So I need to find a broker that just happens to decide to only use stable versions... (I guess those 2 I tried go with beta versions too).

Is there any list of brokers that do that (or we just can't know what they'll do)? I don't know if it's allowed to publish specific broker names in the forum though

Can the second option be done from the default metatrader install (the one downloaded from metaquotes) after removing the demo account connection, or do I need to try each broker's custom installer?

There is no any list of brokers sorry.

Manuel Alejandro Cercos Perez #:

it is as simple as:

* __do not add__  metaquotes demo server / demo account to your MT5 terminal

period ;)

Unfortunately, it is not publicly disclosed that downloading MetaTrader from the MetaQuotes website, or connecting to their demo trade server, will cause it to update with “beta” builds.

To resolve the situation ...

1. Make a Backup of any important data files, especially MQL programs and their source code.
  2. Completely uninstall your current MetaTrader applications.
  3. Clean up any remnant directories (“%APPDATA%\MetaQuotes”).
  4. Download and install MetaTrader from a reputable broker.
  5. Only connect to broker provided trading accounts (be they demo or real).
Broker selection
Broker selection
  • www.mql5.com
MetaQuotes (MQ) is NOT a broker nor does it provide any financial, investment, brokerage, trading or data feed services, nor is it involved in any...
Reason: