MT4/MT5 Server "open source"?

I've seen a couple of videos of people referring to the MT4/MT5 servers being "open source. I've never heard of this before.

Am I missing something all along, or has anything changed in the recent past that I'm unaware of? I never knew MT4/MT5 to be open sourced or have open source portions to it, but I could be wrong about that. Or are these people just misinformed and spreading it?

Curious to know your thoughts.

fulljack:

I've seen a couple of videos of people referring to the MT4/MT5 servers being "open source. I've never heard of this before.

Am I missing something all along, or has anything changed in the recent past that I'm unaware of? I never knew MT4/MT5 to be open sourced or have open source portions to it, but I could be wrong about that. Or are these people just misinformed and spreading it?

All MetaQuotes Software is fully closed source and well protected...

Very unlikely you will find any of it being open source.

Though, if someone reverse engineers some or all of it, it could be as open source project, because that would make it very unlikely to ever disappear again...

But it would not be MQ Software then, and it would not be related to MQ any other way.

It's like if you'd call Microsoft support for a Samba issue. Although Samba uses SMB which was developed by Microsoft, it's a totally different owner, and therefore not related to Microsoft at all, other than being compatible with Microsoft SMB protocol.

fulljack:

MetaQuotes 5 is a financial market trading software developed by MetaQuotes Software.  MetaQuotes 5 is not open source software, but licensed commercial software.  This means that users cannot view, modify or redistribute the source code of this software.  The user may use the software only under the terms and conditions specified by the supplier.

Open source software is software whose source code is published and uses an open source license.  This license allows anyone to study, change, and improve the software, and distribute the software in its unchanged or modified form.  Some examples of open source software are Linux, Firefox, WordPress, etc.  Open source software has many benefits such as cost savings, increased flexibility, and encourages creativity and collaboration.

Dominik Christian Egert #:
All MetaQuotes Software is fully closed source and well protected...

Very unlikely you will find any of it being open source.

Though, if someone reverse engineers some or all of it, it could be as open source project, because that would make it very unlikely to ever disappear again...

But it would not be MQ Software then, and it would not be related to MQ any other way.

It's like if you'd call Microsoft support for a Samba issue. Although Samba uses SMB which was developed by Microsoft, it's a totally different owner, and therefore not related to Microsoft at all, other than being compatible with Microsoft SMB protocol.

Yes, I've never known MT4 / MT5, either clients or servers, to not be proprietary software. I've heard this and it's obviously not true. Only if MetaQuotes might have open sourced something in the meantime, but that would be something new and unknown to me. So yeah, the world keeps turning.

Thanks for the input.

Why not make MT5 open source? As MT5 is free and most of the revenue is coming from MQL marketplace it will still be protected incase MT5 is made opensource. The end users will get a more stable product this way.

anubhavmeena #:
Why not make MT5 open source? As MT5 is free and most of the revenue is coming from MQL marketplace it will still be protected incase MT5 is made opensource. The end users will get a more stable product this way.
i did make this proposal as well already, but it won't happen.

I guess there are multiple reasons for this.

The arguments for Open Source are strong, and from a logical as well as business point of view it would most probably make sense. My personal guess is there are reasons which we don't know about, and probably never will...

i did make this proposal as well already, but it won't happen.

I guess there are multiple reasons for this.

The arguments for Open Source are strong, and from a logical as well as business point of view it would most probably make sense. My personal guess is there are reasons which we don't know about, and probably never will...

Yeah, I also suppose there's advantages, but I'd leave it up to MetaQuotes to know what's best for their business, in the end. They should have a long-term strategy in what aligns to this. I mean, it's the cornerstone of their business, would stand to reason they've somewhat thought it through.

fulljack #:

Yeah, I also suppose there's advantages, but I'd leave it up to MetaQuotes to know what's best for their business, in the end. They should have a long-term strategy in what aligns to this. I mean, it's the cornerstone of their business, would stand to reason they've somewhat thought it through.

There are arguments for both, propitiate and open source.

Microsoft has had its benefits as NTFS and SMB got forcefully OS software, though they really tried to prevent it.

Red hat is currently having a huge backlash cause of their foregoing with RHEL...

Whatever the case is, it is currently closed source and that's how it is.

How would it work though ? 

Open source the platform okay , then you'd need to get a deal with a broker to carry the platform you forked .

Or the brokers would create their own versions based on mt5 without a central "guarantee" of "specs"

In a way it is as "open" as it can be , the next stage would be to lease the "bridge with the brokers" to user applications (API) but why would you select that over the platform (which is built already).

Lorentzos Roussos #:

How would it work though ? 

Open source the platform okay , then you'd need to get a deal with a broker to carry the platform you forked .

Or the brokers would create their own versions based on mt5 without a central "guarantee" of "specs"

In a way it is as "open" as it can be , the next stage would be to lease the "bridge with the brokers" to user applications (API) but why would you select that over the platform (which is built already).

I think the main idea is around the client, MT4/5, not the Server. And, yes, it would expose the servers API. Very probable, there would be all kinds of projects around that API. EAs connecting directly, other GUIs for displaying, probably a service for TV as well...

The ecosystem would be broad, and full of scam products as well... But I am sure there would also be a lot of unique features and functions available.

I think the main idea is around the client, MT4/5, not the Server. And, yes, it would expose the servers API. Very probable, there would be all kinds of projects around that API. EAs connecting directly, other GUIs for displaying, probably a service for TV as well...

The ecosystem would be broad, and full of scam products as well... But I am sure there would also be a lot of unique features and functions available.

Yeah TV would jump on that faster than a tourist seeing ice cream on a Greek beach.

But they don't benefit , whereas now its win win win 

Broker wins , mq wins , coders win 

Reason: