Machine learning in trading: theory, models, practice and algo-trading - page 2668

I actually want to model DXY based on macroeconomic data, oil and gold.

and then use the modelled dollar rate. I guess the indices will have to be taken directly from the sources themselves, unless I find something more convenient.

I have never thought before that it is more realistic to estimate drawdowns of TS through Monte Carlo, not by the maximum historical drawdown.

Some TSs showed drawdowns higher than the historical drawdown and then worked again

It would be useful to make this a standard feature of MT5 tester

https://medium.com/@ankit_quant/when-to-stop-trading-a-strategy-28d104bb20b6

When to stop trading a strategy?
When to stop trading a strategy?
  • Ankit Garg
  • medium.com
A Google search of this question will lead to several interesting (and often inaccurate) answers. One of the more popular (and loosely defined heuristic) answers that goes in Systematic Trading universe is: While there is no easy way to answer the question, I am going to showcase a statistical method to approach this problem. We need to assess...

Maxim Dmitrievsky #:

I never thought before that it is most realistic to estimate drawdowns of a TS through Monte Carlo, not by maximum historical drawdown.

Some TSs showed drawdowns higher than the historical drawdown and then worked again

I remember you and fxsaber convinced me of the uselessness of Monte Carlo)

Aleksey Nikolayev #:

I remember you and fxsaber convinced me of the uselessness of Monte Carlo)

God forbid I remember. I don't remember )

Maxim Dmitrievsky #:

God forbid I remember.)

It's about that, but I'm not in contention, as you and he are right in no small part. It just came to mind)

Aleksey Nikolayev #:

It's about that, but I'm not in contention, as you and he are right in no small part. It just came to mind.)

Maybe I'm confusing something... the discussion was about montekarloy optimisation (as a search for TS), and here it is about risk assessment of a ready strategy. To be more precise, not even risks, but how to determine when the TS stopped working.

Yes, the link there is about validation of overfitted TS. It probably does not make sense in this way. Whether it means that there is no sense in determining the allowable drawdown is also a question.

Aleksey Nikolayev #:

It's about that, but I'm not in contention, as you and he are right in no small part. It just came to mind.)

The article is cool, it gave me some ideas, thanks....

Maxim Dmitrievsky #:

I never thought before that it is most realistic to estimate drawdowns of a TS through Monte Carlo, not by maximum historical drawdown.

The worst case scenario can be obtained not by randomly mixing 10000 times, but by simply gluing together all drawdowns. But that's if the strategy is working, like in that example. We are likely to have a retrained one - a forward test will only help to evaluate it.

elibrarius #:
The worst case scenario can be obtained not by randomly mixing 10000 times, but by simply gluing together all drawdowns. But this is if the strategy is working, as in the example. We are likely to have a retrained strategy - a forward test will only help us to evaluate it.

Worst case scenario may turn out to be unacceptable drawdown at all, something in the middle is probably more logical.

Monte Carlo forward test.

Maxim Dmitrievsky #:

Maybe I am confused about something... we discussed montecarloa optimisation (as a search for a TS), and here we are talking about risk assessment of a ready strategy. To be more precise, not even risks, but how to determine when the TS stopped working.

Yes, the link there is about validation of overfitted TS. It probably does not make sense in this way. Whether it means that there is no sense in determining the allowable drawdown is also a question.

Well, Monte Carlo gives a lot of possibilities and it can be used in different ways.

In your link I think they use random shuffling of trades (shuffle) so that only drawdown changes. In my understanding, this is not a definition of "true" drawdown, but rather whether the actual drawdown is "normal" or not. If the drawdown is too large or too small (falls into the left or right tail of the modelled histogram), it may indicate a dependence between neighbouring trades.

Reason: