EX4 write error

Yesterday's upgrade to Win10 Pro version 1511 OSbuild 10586.17 seems to have wrecked the compiler! (I have MetaEditor 5.0.0.1218 )

Cannot compile anything and continue to get "EX4 write error". Starting Editor in compatibility mode doesn't help either...

Anybody here experiencing same problems??.

Feel totally unproductive now :-( 

I have same problem. There is a bug in Metaeditor. You can use your old Metaeditor 902 to replace the new buggy Metaeditor and wait for an upgrade.

phil09:
I have same problem. There is a bug in Metaeditor. You can use your old Metaeditor 902 to replace the new buggy Metaeditor and wait for an upgrade.

Please do not describe this as bug, if you are unsure whether this really is a confirmed bug.

Reasons:

Speculative I'd say that metaeditor.exe now takes more care of ownership of the files and directories. This implies that your very own windows setup is broken or misbehaving. Most people tend to log in as "Administrator" rather than "User" into their accounts and thus ownership of files and directories gets messed up.

Epeculative you might end up in creating Administrator directories in your User account which prevents you from writing files and directories as User. Or with other words. A file and folder that belongs to another user is usually the problem where you as different user can not write or access to.

Therefore I'd end up recommending people to check the persmissions of files and folder.

Now assume virtual hosting, or multi terminal executions or multi user accounts on windows. You probably won't want to go inside a different users directory and copy and paste his private *.ex4 files to your own directory.

Nonetheless, this could of course be a bug. But why should they mess with file and directory attributes if there was no reason or not the intend for better protection.

By the way: This problem has been reported various times in the past days. It would be better to stick in the first thread so people can discuss this within a flow inside one context rather than spawning off an individual new thread. The search function top right of your browser could come handy here. 

aakcaagac:

Please do not describe this as bug, if you are unsure whether this really is a confirmed bug.

Reasons:

Speculative ...

Call it as you wish, but the build 920 crashes with innocent actions like clicking the Market tab, Save template, and it does not load previously compiled ex4. Neither I would call it a bug, but rather a failure.

So why am i getting the errors after a Win10 upgrade? Yesterday the same editor worked fine? As much as it may be academic, i'm still curious as i don't see/have any file management or ownership issues. Nor ever had.

on a more practical note: how do i get MetaEditor 902 then? 

also appreciate a link to previous/other discussions on this topic. I searched on "EX4 write error"  but apart from old stuff didn't find anything. Yes i do search before i post...

Ovo:

Call it as you wish, but the build 920 crashes with innocent actions like clicking the Market tab, Save template, and it does not load previously compiled ex4. Neither I would call it a bug, but rather a failure.

Been using it under Wine. Fresh setup and complete new installation with mt4setup.exe. I have not noticed the issues reported here. Neither with non compiling mql4 files, accessing directories nor any crashes with market tab nor save template issues. Most reports here are about writing mq4 files issues and thus the first thing that came to my mind is, checking up the file and directory permissions. All my previously compiled indicators (my very own) ran out of box after copying the ex4 files in the indicator directory. The more different setups there are, the more difficult it gets.

Route206:

also appreciate a link to previous/other discussions on this topic.

Thanks. No luck however: i checked the access rights and both Admin and User (ie me) had full rights. Also checked the read/write attributes and made sure there are no read-only orphans.

I'll give up soon and do a complete re-install :-( 

I have mine running on a vps, so my EA is still working but I need to change it. I've done a complete re-install and run Windows 10 update again to make sure that's OK. I still can't get my EA to compile, having changed a 9 to a 4.

I have now verified with a second Win10 computer, same build MT4, same initial version Win10, same upgrade, same error msg: EX4 write error. This has all the signs of MetaEditor not being compatible with the newest Win10.  A comment from MetaQuotes is appreciated now..

Hmmm sounds like they blew up something. One day we all end up using SpreadSheets again for TA and calculations. I am doing this already for daily, weekly and longer charts and EOD data from yahoo/google.
Reason: