After Angle Formula

Hi

I have question about predicting future highs and lows. Say for example I have highs and lows of the past and its high 100 and low 10 and the angle of the trend is moving 45degrees up

and after 20 bars of 5minute data the highs are 120 and low 30...

My question is do you know a mathematical formula with angle of 45degrees upwards that will be able to calculate the pip increase over a period of 20 bars? Ive used trendlines with this kind of thing but just curious about a mathematical formula thats out there somewhere.

Mathematical formula is

y(x) = y0 + tan (angle) * (x - x0)

I am curious how you can use the formula for 20 bars.

bonechair:

My question is do you know a mathematical formula with angle of 45degrees upwards that will be able to calculate the pip increase over a period of 20 bars? Ive used trendlines with this kind of thing but just curious about a mathematical formula thats out there somewhere.

Angles are meaningless unless you have the same units for the 2 sides . . . time != price

bonechair:

Hi

I have question about predicting future highs and lows. Say for example I have highs and lows of the past and its high 100 and low 10 and the angle of the trend is moving 45degrees up

and after 20 bars of 5minute data the highs are 120 and low 30...

First you have to decide what scale you are using to consider the trend is 45 degrees. If your scale is 1:1 then 1 bar == 1 pip so 20 bars == 20 pips increase in price. If your scale is 1:2, 20 bars == 40 pip increase in price.

Try y=mx+b, m is the slope, b is the y axis intercept

Anybody have an example formula like tan(45degrees) * (bid)

Thanks SDC so would m=45degrees but can you give example numbers for others and how you would get those numbers. Not sure what that means. Im using scale 1:1

bonechair:

Thanks SDC so would m=45degrees but can you give example numbers for others and how you would get those numbers. Not sure what that means. Im using scale 1:1

RaptorUK:
Angles are meaningless unless you have the same units for the 2 sides . . . time != price

bonechair:

If you are using 1:1 the formula to project 45 degrees is y = x. y is pips, x is Bars therefore 20 Bars = 20 pip rise.

SDC:

Well if you are using 1:1 the formula to project 45 degrees is y = x. y is pips, x is Bars therefore 20 Bars = 20 pip rise.

Unless the monitor being used has non square pixels.

RaptorUK:

You dont need the same unit for both sides to draw an x,y chart or to calculate the angle of a line on that chart.

RaptorUK:
Unless the monitor being used has non square pixels.

The 45 degree line is representative of a 1 pip rise per unit of time, if it does not look exactly like 45 degrees because of a quirk in the way monitors work it makes no difference to calculations made based on its math.

SDC:
You dont need the same unit for both sides to draw an x,y chart or to calculate the angle of a line on that chart.

Thats a visual representation . . .

SDC:
The 45 degree line is representative of a 1 pip rise per unit of time, if it does not look exactly like 45 degrees on the monitor it makes no difference to calculations made based on it.
. . . which you now argue is not important . . . but it's not 45 degrees . . . by all means talk about gradients, but angles are not relevant or real in a price vs time situation.
Reason: