[A Question About EA Testing]Test Results are different each time, is it common?

Hi all,

I don't know whether you've ever encountered such weird situations.

when I'm trying to test an EA, sometimes the result is positive while sometimes is negative.

I swear I'm using exactly the same historical data/test period/timeframe/parameters/agents, everything is the same, everything!!! But the result is different!!!

I'm quite confused about it. Does anyone has same experience or happen to know root cause?

Appreciate any advices from your side.

BestRds

1105:

Hi all,

I don't know whether you've ever encountered such weird situations.

when I'm trying to test an EA, sometimes the result is positive while sometimes is negative.

I swear I'm using exactly the same historical data/test period/timeframe/parameters/agents, everything is the same, everything!!! But the result is different!!!

I'm quite confused about it. Does anyone has same experience or happen to know root cause?

Appreciate any advices from your side.

BestRds

Three possibilities spring to mind:

1) You have a non-repeating test for either or both of the entry and exit (eg a random number generator)

2) the Spread changed between simulations (check using the SYMBOL PROPERTIES button in the Strategy Tester.)

3) You have very small take profit/stop loss values and the tick generator software in the Strategy Tester is effectively giving slightly different tick values each time.

The moment you press the start button, the spead is set to the current value. Differences in values affects the tests.

If you disconnect from the net or set the server to bogus value, the last value will continue to be used.

dabbler:

Three possibilities spring to mind:

1) You have a non-repeating test for either or both of the entry and exit (eg a random number generator)

2) the Spread changed between simulations (check using the SYMBOL PROPERTIES button in the Strategy Tester.)

3) You have very small take profit/stop loss values and the tick generator software in the Strategy Tester is effectively giving slightly different tick values each time.

dabbler:

Thanks for your immediate feedback. Could u please explain more about "non-repeating" test? what I did was handling test for twice, each time I set same start date and end date, then press button "start", any special thing I should pay attention to?

WHRoeder:

The moment you press the start button, the spead is set to the current value. Differences in values affects the tests.

If you disconnect from the net or set the server to bogus value, the last value will continue to be used.

WHRoeder

Thanks for your advice, can you please tell me more about how to “set the server to bogus value”? I just want to have smaller spread if possible...

1105:

WHRoeder

Thanks for your advice, can you please tell me more about how to “set the server to bogus value”? I just want to have smaller spread if possible...

The way I do this is login using a bogus account number . . that fails and then you have no connection . . .

1105: I just want to have smaller spread if possible...

Disconnect from broker using Bogus Proxy method.

Setting Bogus Proxy: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/120787.

Use spread edit tool: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/113730.

RaptorUK:
The way I do this is login using a bogus account number . . that fails and then you have no connection . . .

Wow, what a SMART way!

ubzen:

Disconnect from broker using Bogus Proxy method.

Setting Bogus Proxy: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/120787.

Use spread edit tool: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/113730.

Thanks ubzen, you really taught me something that I've never heard before))

Hi Buddies,

I just wonder whether I can find an agent who provides the lowest spread in this world, maybe 20? or even lower?

1105:

Hi Buddies,

I just wonder whether I can find an agent who provides the lowest spread in this world, maybe 20? or even lower?

The reason I asked is I found an EA which had dramatically different performance with different spread, if spread is zero, the test result shows like a myth!!!

well, I know maybe it's a little bit greedy, if it has low spread which is fixed also, that would be better))

Reason: